Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Water in bilge

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

United States of America
cpoint
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2000 Carver 356 aft cabin

Re: Water in bilge

Postby cpoint » May 30th, 2018, 10:47 pm

mjk1040 wrote:Source of the post I don't think its the exhaust fittings. I believe they are lower than ur bilge pump location and if they were leaking would fill the chamber below ur bilge pump. Take the drawer and top out of the night stand and have a look around. I had the front shower sump with bad check valve and a hair line crack at the outlet port that was filling my forward bilge with the amount of water u r noticing. Also the shower sumps r not sealed and if ur float is not working all the time this water will overflow into the bilge. Used flex seal on the cracked shower sump box and no more water in the bilge.

MJK, thanks. I am just guessing myself. I will take a closer look over the weekend. But I am pretty sure its not shower sump, as the water is not clear. Annapolis water is brackish water, kinda brownish. And that's whats in the aft cabin bilge. But replacing the shower sump (both front and back) is in my list of items. Just haven't gotten around. As you suggest I will check all I can see in the back and report here once I can see anything.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » May 31st, 2018, 12:41 am

My 355 always has a bit of clear water in the bilge. It is usually in the front under the galley floor unless my aft tank is full, then it is in the aft bilge. I believe it is from the anchor locker. I don't worry much about it as my it is a very low level and never seems to rise nearly enough for my bilge pumps to remove it.

Both the fore and aft pumps are not in an ideal location in my opinion. They sit a few inches above the lowest possible point.

United States of America
cpoint
Commander
Commander

Postby cpoint » May 31st, 2018, 10:43 am

tom, I agree the pumps are not located at best location. Mine is at dock more than in use, so not much getting the boat up at speed that will get the water to the pumps where they are. I am lucky in the sense the forward and mid bilge area is dry always. The back one only bothers me because it makes it smell in aft cabin, specially when it is hot out side. I end up vacuuming it out with 1 5 gallon wet vac. takes 3 trips. not a fun task. But this weekend I am going to spend some time trying to figure out the source, and as a backup add a new bilge pump I bought to use as needed. I am going to pump it out through shower pumps hull hose. I may just leave it there, but I do not want to re-wire things. Not sure I can tie it to the power of shower pump? They would not be running at same time, so it may be OK, maybe?

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » May 31st, 2018, 9:42 pm

a couple times a year I put a hose into my bilge and let it run for a few hours. It cleans up the dust, exercises the bilge pumps and keeps any standing water from going green and stinky.

United States of America
cpoint
Commander
Commander

Postby cpoint » June 27th, 2018, 11:04 am

Just to update this, looks like the back bilge is now fairly dry, after last through suctioning of all water out, it has not returned while in motion or as it sits at the dock. So I think we are goon on this for now.

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Postby mjk1040 » July 1st, 2018, 7:52 pm

Well we started getting aft water in the area of the shower sump, thought it was the sump not working. Further investigation showed that the AC unit drain pan has quite a bit of water in it. Pan drain is clear, however the drain pan seems to be tipped a little lower at the opposite end of the pan than the drain end. When the AC unit is running the vibration from the compressor is splashing the water out of the pan into the bilge. Going to prop the low end up a little to force the pan water to run toward the drain end better. If that eliminates our aft bilge water issue I will advise.
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » July 2nd, 2018, 12:58 pm

The other thing to do is make sure that the pan drain is at the aft end of the pan. When getting up on plane, you want that water to go down the hose, not away from it and over the edge.

United States of America
cpoint
Commander
Commander

Postby cpoint » July 2nd, 2018, 2:37 pm

After 3+ weeks My bilge is dry. So the problem is no longer there for me. back bilge has some water, but very little. But I still say the bilge pump in back is in wrong spot. By the time it gets to mine, boat would have to be down under :)

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » July 2nd, 2018, 3:47 pm

cpoint wrote:Source of the post After 3+ weeks My bilge is dry. So the problem is no longer there for me. back bilge has some water, but very little. But I still say the bilge pump in back is in wrong spot. By the time it gets to mine, boat would have to be down under :)

So it would only work in Australia ????? :-D ... :beergood:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
cpoint
Commander
Commander

Postby cpoint » July 3rd, 2018, 12:53 pm

bud37 wrote:Source of the post
cpoint wrote:Source of the post After 3+ weeks My bilge is dry. So the problem is no longer there for me. back bilge has some water, but very little. But I still say the bilge pump in back is in wrong spot. By the time it gets to mine, boat would have to be down under :)

So it would only work in Australia ????? :-D ... :beergood:

Ahhh.... maybe, how did I missed that :-D :clap:

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”