Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

1990 Carver 3607 max capacity

The is the forum to discuss general information regarding all Carver Yachts.

Topic author United States of America
RobGunn
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1990 Carver 3607 Aft Cabin
"FINALLY"

1990 Carver 3607 max capacity

Postby RobGunn » July 9th, 2018, 1:19 pm

OK, I have what may be a very stupid question but I have to ask. I have my new to me 1990 Carver 3607 aft cabin that I've owned for one year. My daughter wants to have a bachelorette part on the boat. Question is, what's the legal capacity of my boat? All other (smaller) boats that I have owned had a Max capacity label affixed somewhere on the boat that would give max weight or max number of people.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Re: 1990 Carver 3607 max capacity

Postby Midnightsun » July 9th, 2018, 3:05 pm

Capacity plates are only required by law for boats 20' or less. Ours are typically not designated with a capacity even though some boats over 20' have plates. Bottom line is there is no maximum persons spec. Fill her up. :-D
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » July 9th, 2018, 3:06 pm

I had the same exact question when I bought my 3607 about 25 years ago.

The answer really is: "It's up to the captain's discretion"!

I actually called the USCG and the local Sheriff. Once the boat is over 20', they don't have to placard them nor do they calculate a number of persons. They (USCG) will give you a formula (lengthxbeamx150/"x", but I forgot was "X" was). When I did this, I came up with something like 28 for my boat. I would never put that many folks on there.

Also consider where the weight will be. It will be likely easier to have a bunch of women rather than the same number of ~200lb guys, but also consider limiting how many are on the bridge at any one time, or on the aft deck. I would have no problem with 10 or 12 on the boat and could go as high as 16 in protected waters, but that will also be pretty "cozy".

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » July 9th, 2018, 3:12 pm

Also, when thinking about loading a boat and having a party, it would be a sobering thing to read about the "Long Island fireworks tragedy" that happened a year or two ago. I think it was a 34 Silverton they put 27 people on. Several on board were kids and three didn't make it. They had several of full-grown males up on the bridge and that likely contributed to the tragedy.

[edit: fixed length of boat and number of passengers and casualties]
Last edited by km1125 on July 9th, 2018, 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » July 9th, 2018, 3:17 pm

km1125 wrote:Source of the post Also, when thinking about loading a boat and having a party, it would be a sobering thing to read about the "Long Island fireworks tragedy" that happened a year or two ago. I think it was a 31 Silverton they put 28 people on. Several on board were kids and two didn't make it. They had several of full-grown males up on the bridge and that likely contributed to the tragedy.

Agreed, several people on the upper deck of a narrow beamed flybridge all on the same side is a disaster waiting to happen.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Return to “Carver Yachts Forum - Model Discussion”