Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Fresh water pump ok if under water?

Discussion of AC's, plumbing and sanitation related issues.

Topic author United States of America
CptBacardi
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 38 Santego (not an aft cabin)

Fresh water pump ok if under water?

Postby CptBacardi » July 12th, 2018, 9:10 am

My kitchen sink, bathroom sink, and shower would not turn on. I found my fresh water pump, which is a Jabsco 31620-0092, was about a quarter the way under water down in my hull. The red wire from the back of the motor runs to the front of the pump (which google told me is a pressure switch). That motor red wire is connected to the pressure switch, but the other red cable coming off of it, which should go to the power supply hot wire, was disconnected. Where those connections are on the pressure switch are under water. Before hooking it back up I wanted to ask if that is ok?? It does not seem to be sealed and protected from water at those connections on the pressure switch. I’ve been having issues with the water pressure breaker cutting out and I’d have to flip it back on over the last several weeks. Thanks!
1989 Carver 38 Santego

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Fresh water pump ok if under water?

Postby km1125 » July 12th, 2018, 11:35 am

I would be more concerned why you had that much water in the bilge!

I don't think any of those pumps are designed to be submersible, so I would not expect that pressure switch to be sealed. If the connections themselves will be underwater, they should be sealed with shrink boot.

You may connect it back up and have it work for a while, but I think you may need to at least replace that pressure switch at some point.

Topic author United States of America
CptBacardi
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 38 Santego (not an aft cabin)

Postby CptBacardi » July 12th, 2018, 11:46 am

I figured out the bilge is not working so I have to fix that first. Get the water out, then troubleshoot the fresh water pump. I’m always fixing something on this boat, but sure is great when everything is working.
1989 Carver 38 Santego

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » July 12th, 2018, 9:45 pm

The fresh water pump is not submersible. When you get it dried out, I may work for awhile, but if you depend on it for water, I would have a spare on standby.

Return to “AC/Heat, Plumbing & Sanitation”