Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Kohler generator for dummies, questions

Discussion of batteries, chargers, wiring, generators, distribution panels, battery switches, etc.

United States of America
smcguckin27
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2004 Carver 360 Sport Sedan.

Re: Kohler generator for dummies, questions

Postby smcguckin27 » July 6th, 2018, 11:09 am

One other thing to consider. On our Kohler 7KW I had a wierd issue where the tips of the zinc in the heat exchanger were breaking off (I suspect from the waterjet of the raw water flow they were wearing in the centers faster than on the tip). The tips then wound up in the elbows where the raw water is injected into the exhaust which of course reduced water flow and then it would shutdown on overheat. Once cleaned up I then cut each zinc in half so that could not happen again and the thing ran great for years after.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » July 6th, 2018, 11:33 am

Good catch on the zincs........ :approve:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
buster53
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2001, Carver 356

Postby buster53 » July 13th, 2018, 3:45 pm

buster53 wrote:Ok, I have a Kohler 7.3E-CB. Yesterday, I ran the unit for about 30 minutes, mostly running one AC unit and both AC units for 5-10 minutes.
Genset shut down. Restarted and ran for a minute or two before shutting down again. This happened several times and would only run a minute or so. After 5-6 restarts, it would only run for a few seconds before shutting down. Just bought this boat in March and haven't had any problems until today.
I checked to make sure my oil level was good. What's next...replace fuel filter maybe? Any other suggestions?

Ok, had a tech guy look at my genset and he tells me the fuel pump is shot. He suggested I order the pump and when it comes in, he will install it.
Where's a good place to order Kohler parts?

United States of America
Ctmangrum
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1977 Carver Mariner 2896

Postby Ctmangrum » March 1st, 2022, 10:51 pm

Just a question for an old post. Does the generator cool using the starboard engine sea strainer?

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » March 2nd, 2022, 10:58 am

Ctmangrum wrote:Source of the post Just a question for an old post. Does the generator cool using the starboard engine sea strainer?

Not typically. They almost always have their own through-hull and sea strainer.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » March 2nd, 2022, 11:25 am

Ctmangrum wrote:Source of the post Just a question for an old post. Does the generator cool using the starboard engine sea strainer?

Like KM says......Thats the thing with old boats, you can never be sure what someone has done before you......just follow the water hose back from the pump on the gen. to its source.

If that gen was added later ( DIY) they may well have done some odd things so have a real good look. It should have its own dedicated cooling water supply unless there is a sea chest, which I doubt on your boat.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Return to “Electrical”