Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Thruster for 4207

ImageThis forum is for general discussion of all things Boating. If it's boating related and doesn't fit in another forum, post it here!

Topic author
Pierre
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1988 Carver 4207 Aft Cabin T-3208 Cats

Thruster for 4207

Postby Pierre » April 12th, 2014, 10:21 am

I want to thank SHEMP for your reply to an early post regarding my enquiry regarding the installation of a bow thruster on my 4207.

I am getting more serious about the project and looking for specific information.

I am currently looking to install a a single prop unit by Vetus with a 10in tunnel and 275lb of thrust.

Do you have any idea if this sounds adequate? Most other installations in my area (Montreal) on large Bayliners or Carvers have a 7in or 10in tunnel with dual props (non-Vetus).

Any comments?

thank you.

SHEMP
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 2000 CARVER 456 MY
Full Bridge and aft deck enclosure
Originally purchased in Staten Island
Second owner also purchased in Staten Island in 2012
Now berthed in Toronto Canada
A wonderful and fully appointed luxury yacht.

Re: Thruster for 4207

Postby SHEMP » April 12th, 2014, 1:14 pm

Hi Pierre
it seems to me that your Vetus Single will be more than adequate. I can't say one way or the other about single vs twin props, because this is my first boat with a Bow Thruster.

I just looked at my manual for the Side Power SP 95T , this is the unit Carver installed at the factory for my 456.
The boat weighs 35000 lbs.
The SP95T is a dual prop and seems to be quite sufficient for my boat which is almost 46 feet long.

Thrust = 209 lbs

Tunnel = 7.28 " or 185 mm

weight of unit =68 lbs

Motor output = 8 hp

I hope that helps .
Victor

Topic author
Pierre
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1988 Carver 4207 Aft Cabin T-3208 Cats

Re: Thruster for 4207

Postby Pierre » April 14th, 2014, 7:44 am

Victor,

the Vetus Bow unit 12512D Model has 8 hp, a single prop (6 blade) and 275 lbs of thrust. This is their largest unit that works on 12V and requires a large tunnel (9 7/8 in - 250 mm).

My 4207 has a full enclosure on top and on the aft deck so it has a large wind exposure.

Hopefully, this unit will do the job!

thanks again!.

Pierre

Return to “General Boating Discussion”