Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Hello to all

Are you a new member? Stop in and say hi!

United States of America
Serendipity
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 405

Re: Hello to all

Postby Serendipity » July 17th, 2018, 11:19 pm

Gorgeous boat and pics. I love the detail and what you hsve done on this restoration.
Bravo :clap:

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » July 18th, 2018, 9:16 am

What a beauty. Thanks for sharing and giving her another 50 years. Well done :down:

United States of America
tgebler
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 2000 396 AC

Postby tgebler » July 18th, 2018, 11:17 am

I just bought a 2000 396 Aft Cabin and I am still learning how every thing works. So I have a silly question, where does the water from the sinks and the showers drain? Does the water get pumped out or does it go into the holding tanks? Also, we have a bad smell coming from the hot water spigots. How do I get rid of that odor? Thanks.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » July 18th, 2018, 2:01 pm

I'm also curious what the ride is like up on the bridge on these boats. I toyed with adding a bridge on my 25' Trojan when I was redoing it, but decided against it.

What's the experience like?

United States of America
tgebler
First Mate
First Mate

Postby tgebler » July 18th, 2018, 2:14 pm

It is actually a pretty good ride. We bought the boat in Cincinnati and brought it to Pittsburgh on the Ohio River - 450+ miles and 13 locks.

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Postby RGrew176 » July 19th, 2018, 2:51 am

tgebler wrote:Source of the post I just bought a 2000 396 Aft Cabin and I am still learning how every thing works. So I have a silly question, where does the water from the sinks and the showers drain? Does the water get pumped out or does it go into the holding tanks? Also, we have a bad smell coming from the hot water spigots. How do I get rid of that odor? Thanks.

Can't speak to your specific boat but on my Carver any water in the sinks and shower end up going overboard into the body of water you occupy at that time.

As to the smell in the hot water side of the water system you could try to sanitize the system with some bleach. I tend to overkill. When I bought my Carver I had the same problem. I emptied out most of the water from the fresh water tanks. I added 1 gallon of bleach. Filled the tanks then ran it through all the faucets and spigots until I could smell the bleach. I let it sit overnight then I pumped out all the remaining water and refilled the tanks. The smell was gone, and has remained gone since.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

United States of America
tgebler
First Mate
First Mate

Postby tgebler » July 19th, 2018, 6:24 am

Thanks.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » July 19th, 2018, 8:46 am

Like Rick's, my sinks go overboard. The galley and aft sink go directly to thru-hulls, but the forward sink drains into the shower sump, which then gets pumped overboard.

As to the smells. Yes, a good bleaching helps. What I do is fill the water tanks with a fairly strong concentration, then I use a faucet-to-hose adapter on the galley and run that hose back into the water fill port. I turn the galley faucet on (both cold and hot) and let the pump run the water through the system for a while. Then drain the whole system and fill it.

Depending on your water and your water heater, you might also have a zinc anode in the water heater. Those can react with some harder water to create a sulfur smell. You can remove the anode but then may end up shortening the life of the tank. I'd do the bleaching first.

I also found that the old drain hose in my galley sink was full of "ick" when I replaced it. I had not intended on replacing it, but I was replacing the hot and cold lines several years ago and when I got a good look at that hose, decided to replace it. That definitely had a 'smell' that wasn't pleasant. You would not notice it until you poured hot water down the drain and then for a couple hours you would notice a smell.

Vanuatu
SRVTRIBUTE
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1986 Carver Santa Cruz 26

Postby SRVTRIBUTE » July 19th, 2018, 10:23 am

I can appreciate the care put into your project. Looks Amazing! I am now starting on a 1986 santa Cruz.....Here we go again!

United States of America
Msteph9834
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1974 Carver Santa Cruz. Model 2565.
OMC 225 Stern drive

Postby Msteph9834 » August 12th, 2018, 10:54 am

Valade12,
Really nice boat. I have one exactly like it. I noticed that you had the rear seats by the engine, you wouldn't happen to have any blue prints, or anything on them would you? I am looking for some for mine. Thanks

Return to “Introduce Yourself!”