Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Transmission fluid change

GAS engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author United States of America
nazinteck
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1997 325 Carver Aft with twin Gas TB350 XLi engines

Transmission fluid change

Postby nazinteck » July 23rd, 2018, 12:46 pm

I have Series 5000 Borg Warner Velvet Drive transmissions on my two 350 Crusader engines on a 1997 325 Carver Aft Cabin. I am still in the process of going through the vessel which I purchased in May 18 and my plan is to refresh all the mechanicals for piece of mind and reliability. My transmission manual calls for 2 quarts of DEXRON II E for each transmission. A quick inquiry identifies that DEXRON II E is no longer manufactured. Some say DEXRON III is an equivalent replacement fluid. Has anyone substituted the fluid or have any other options. I also see some articles say DEXRON VI is also a replacement for the original recommendation too? Does anyone prefer a specific manufacturer of DEXRON? Any help is appreciated. This is strictly a maintenance issue as I have no transmission issues.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Transmission fluid change

Postby km1125 » July 23rd, 2018, 1:21 pm

I don't think you'd have any problem with III. The newest (I think VI?) has a much lower viscosity intended for newer high-mileage transmissions. I have heard of a LOT of concerns using it in older vintage equipment. It is technically compatible, but with the low viscosity it won't build pressure like II, III or IV. It's been a bit since I did any research, so I would poke around some before I used VI

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » July 23rd, 2018, 1:25 pm

I have never worried too much about trans fluid, ATF is ATF in my opinion, more of a bother would be the appearance of the fluid you now have in there, is it clear pink with no smell, discoloured and burnt etc.

If you want to err on the side of safety , e mail Borg warner with yours trans type, year and serial number and ask them what fluid to use and the fluid change procedure if any.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

nazinteck
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby nazinteck » July 23rd, 2018, 2:50 pm

Thanks to you both. I tried to contact BW but opted to contact a local BW distributor in Rochester NY instead as it was much simpler that way. I spoke with the customer service person there and he followed along with my transmission description, etc. He recommended that I use DEXRON II E or DEXRON III. He had 14 quarts of the "old stuff" II E in stock and will UPS it to me at $3.75 a quart overnight. It is good to know the distributors have inside Customer Service people who can help out. He said a 10 year fluid change is recommended due to possible condensation issues inside the transmission over a period of years. Other than that, there is usually no problem with the fluid. Mine was deep pink with no burnt smell, but since I have no references to any transmission fluid change in the past I am being cautious.

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Postby RGrew176 » July 23rd, 2018, 11:18 pm

Some good information you shared. I appreciate that you found out about the 10 year fluid change. I changed mine last year so I have somewhat over 8 years to go before another change.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » July 25th, 2018, 6:23 am

The caution here is that you not relax your maintenance concerns for the transmissions for 10 years after an oil change. You must still check your oil levels and condition on a regular basis. Personally, 10 years is too long. There's no way I'd run anything with oil that's more than 2 years old IMO. I replace engine oil every year.

nazinteck
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby nazinteck » July 26th, 2018, 4:11 pm

I like to heed good advice and Viper's comments made me look into some of the recommendations I received. I have a Borg-Warner Velvet Drive Series 5000 marine transmission attached to my Crusader 350 5.7l TBI engines. Approved transmission fluid is typically DEXRON II E or DEXRON III. I used DEXRON III due to ease of availability. According to the manufacturers Marine Service Manual which I found on-line, other APPROVED fluids are Ford Mercon, Detroit Diesel Allison C4, Caterpillar TO-4 and Daimler-Benz 236.6. The Service Manual states that the fluid should be checked weekly. It also states that SEASONAL transmission oil changes are REQUIRED for all pleasure boats. Work boats require transmission fluid change every 1000 hours. Obviously the pleasure boat and the work boats time intervals are not to be confused and recreational boaters should follow the annual requirement. Thanks Viper for making me look a little deeper into the question. I'm good to go for another year.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » July 26th, 2018, 5:44 pm

I cannot imagine having the change out the transmission fluid every year. That seems pretty excessive to me. Engine oil makes a lot of sense, because it is constantly getting bombarded with combustion products and the high under-piston temperatures. You also get moisture from those combustion products.

Other than the vent, the transmissions and gears are pretty much sealed up.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » July 26th, 2018, 6:00 pm

km1125 wrote:Source of the post I cannot imagine having the change out the transmission fluid every year. That seems pretty excessive to me. Engine oil makes a lot of sense, because it is constantly getting bombarded with combustion products and the high under-piston temperatures. You also get moisture from those combustion products.

Other than the vent, the transmissions and gears are pretty much sealed up.

I am thinking the same. I do know my Volvo transmissions are supposed to be changed every year or 200 hrs which is rather too often if you ask me. They also say to change the filter however the filter is a medium washable stainless steel wire mesh! These are washable and not supposed to be changed, just cleaned. Regardless, when I did do the change the oil was like new and the filter also. Oil even smelled like new. I am pretty sure it was 10 year old oil and the original filter. I will probably be changing every couple or 3 years from now on.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Postby RGrew176 » July 27th, 2018, 2:59 am

Thinking more about this I think 10 years is to long. I guess depending on how many hours you put on in a season would have a large determination as to how often to change the fluid. I put 54 hours on last year and only a couple so far this season. I am leaning towards every 5 years. My thoughts could change as other information is known.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

Return to “Gas Engines/Transmissions”