Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Slimy 98 350 Mariner

ImageThis forum is for general discussion of all things Boating. If it's boating related and doesn't fit in another forum, post it here!

Canada
daveS
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: ☀️Sanity Sol☀️
1999 350 Mariner

Re: Slimy 98 350 Mariner

Postby daveS » August 7th, 2018, 8:54 pm

Going through 65 locks in 7 day up here in Ontario. As a new mariner owner. I have noticed that over steering was an issue. The hull is good on incoming waves but not so much on side rollers. There is lots to learn on steering on the mariner.
If your rudder indicator is working...set it to centre and use transmission to dock at low speed ( you only go as fast as you want to hit the dock).
If no rudder indicator ...take time to take it off and clean the contacts.

United States of America
buster53
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2001, Carver 356

Postby buster53 » August 8th, 2018, 3:46 pm

grizer wrote:Source of the post So waybomb, did u have a 350 then? How dod u steer it between 8-16 knots w throlttles like a zero turn as u or someone said?

Running that boat between 8-16, all you're doing is wasting a lot of gas and kicking up a big wake which won't make you any friends.
When it comes to fuel consumption and MPG's, your best bet is hull speed or below. Next is a full plane. Next is speeds between hull speed and plane and last is WOT.

United States of America
denpooch
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2005 360 Mariner
Crusader 6.0 Captains Choice

Postby denpooch » August 8th, 2018, 4:20 pm

I have a 36 Mariner and it did take some time getting used to her handling characteristics. My previous boat was a 34ft express cruiser and the Mariner runs completely different.
My suggestion to you is use it as much as possible in a variety of conditions. You will learn how she behaves in various sea/wind conditions. The boat 'does not' like following seas, however, it is certainly manageable.
I can tell you that 90% of the time I use the boat, I am alone and have learned to 'single hand' her. Once you know how she handles you will find it very friendly.
I usually run at the hull speed of 8 knots and when on a schedule to get somewhere I run at 3000 to 3400 RPM.
I have not needed and will likely avoid going over the 3400. I tweak the speed using trim tabs. The way that I have been using the boat I average about 10 GPH. Not bad running a 36 footer at the average cost of about $40.00 USD/hour.
Lots of luck with your new boat.

Return to “General Boating Discussion”