Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Shore power 36 SS

Discussion of batteries, chargers, wiring, generators, distribution panels, battery switches, etc.

Topic author United States of America
Whyknot
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2003 Carver Sport Sedan
Volvo Penta 375 HP GAS
Koehler generator
Bow Thrusters

Shore power 36 SS

Postby Whyknot » August 8th, 2018, 11:06 pm

Hi
My 2003 36 SS Gas is burning the shore power ends actually caught fire twice
Any suggestions on cause and how to fix. Ends were replaced twice

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Re: Shore power 36 SS

Postby Midnightsun » August 9th, 2018, 1:02 am

I would check the portion you are plugging into (shore pedestal) as that may be the culprit, not the cord end. You may also want to invest in a complete new cord, not just the end piece as your situation is quite serious to say the least.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » August 9th, 2018, 6:47 am

I'm with Hans. Check the shore power pedestal outlet. If there's a poor connection there from being worn or corroded, it will be an ongoing problem that can result in a fire. Corrosion there is pretty common in salt water areas. As recommended, everything is suspect now including your cord and the inlet at the boat. This is of course assuming all systems on board are operating within spec and that there are no on-board electrical issues.

You should also take voltage reading from the pedestal. Even with good connections, low supply voltage (common in marinas) will cause an increase in current resulting in heat. Eventually this heat will cause connection and cord failures not to mention sensitive electronics associated with most on-board systems such as fridges, air conditioners, chargers, etc.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » August 21st, 2018, 8:11 pm

Don't rule out the connections on the back side of the boat inlet connections and at the panel. Loose connections any where will show up at the weakest point, which is the connector spades.

Canada
pepmyster
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2004 Carver 360 Sport Sedan
8.1 Volvo Penta
Fresh water boating

Postby pepmyster » August 21st, 2018, 8:24 pm

Must be arching, that could very well be the reason. What Viper and Hans said are words of wisdom.

United States of America
buster53
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2001, Carver 356

Postby buster53 » August 21st, 2018, 9:17 pm

As mentioned, check all connections and replace the entire cord, not just the ends.
Also, whenever you connect/disconnect your power cords, make sure there is no load going thru the cords. Kill your breakers either on the boat or pedestal before disconnecting your cords. This prevents any arching which over time, causes problems.

United States of America
CaptBob
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: Shopping....

Postby CaptBob » August 21st, 2018, 10:04 pm

To further compound the problem, if your 360SS is like mine, the power cords are made fast from the plugs to the electrical panel, that is there is no break from the pedestal plug to the electrical panel. Replacing the entire cable run will turn into a large job. There is another thread here about splicing in a plug set to use a more conventional power cord setup. I'm hot and cold on that design, generally I would prefer less junctions in a circuit, but in this case, it seems to cause more annoyance than solutions. My cable that has the 2 ac units on it (again, my thoughts would have to put one on each line) runs warmer than the one with little to no load. (2 AC on one cord, everything else on the other.) I've had to cut my cables, and replace the ends also. That seemed to solve my problem, we'll see how long it lasts.
Capt Bob!
More Nautiville 2004 Carver 360 Sport Sedan
A little less Nauti 2008 SeaDoo 150 Speedster (Admiral could not live without a jet boat.... :captain2: )

Nautiville 2005 Cruisers 280 CXi *Sold*
Nautitown 2012 SeaDoo 180 SP *Sold*

Return to “Electrical”