Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Courtesy light 1997 355

Discussion of batteries, chargers, wiring, generators, distribution panels, battery switches, etc.

United States of America
cpoint
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2000 Carver 356 aft cabin

Re: Courtesy light 1997 355

Postby cpoint » August 6th, 2018, 4:00 pm

I had done that a while ago, which same on my 356. I just broke it and replaced all with same type inside (floor) and out side ones. here are couple pics, unfortunately I did not have a pic of the one you mention by outside door and above deck, will post them later. I went with blue on all above deck and inside floor, Including the 2 white ones on aft deck ceiling.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

United States of America
fleck05
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1983 Carver 3607 Aft Cabin

Postby fleck05 » August 8th, 2018, 7:38 pm

When I lose a light I usually go to WalMart, get one of those $3 sensor lights that operate off a couple AA batteries, and stick it next to the dead light. At some point I'll need to run some wire, though... my AA battery bills are getting a little high.
1983 Carver 3607 Aft Cabin

United States of America
buster53
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2001, Carver 356

Postby buster53 » August 8th, 2018, 10:03 pm

While a new fixture would be nice, I just want to replace the bulb with an LED. Any problems with replacing the bulb I need to know about?

United States of America
cpoint
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2000 Carver 356 aft cabin

Postby cpoint » August 9th, 2018, 12:31 am

just get the bulb number you are replacing and search for same on the web. I usually get the lights/bulbs from either eBay or Amazon. I did initially replaced the bulbs on the ceiling (cabin) lights with led bulbs, while they were cooler than the originals, which used to get very hot, I ended up replacing with pod led lights from super bright led site at $9,95 each. they were pretty good fit, looked great and do not get hot. For stairs and deck (inside/outside) I also tried out led bubs, but got a good deal on 3 led blue lights with chrome around, got about a dozen almost for the price of the bulbs under Amazon. If you are getting the bulbs, make sure the size will fit where you are installing. some of the led bulbs I noticed may be slightly bigger then the non-led version of same number.

Topic author United States of America
tgmkwill
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1997 355 Carver Aft

Postby tgmkwill » August 9th, 2018, 6:10 am

I use this place to replace any g4 old bulb with new led lights in the ceiling ring fixtures. The prongs on the new LEDs are just a little bit thicker, just use some dilectric grease on them and they can be pressed into the original socket.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/led ... al-finder/

Nice job on the inside courtesy lights. Also I like the flooring.

I kept the fixture I pulled out, I just pulled out the halogen light and wired this little blue light( link below) into the old bulbs place. Put the original light cover back. This blue led is about the size of a nickel. Fit right inside the old fixture.

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-mar ... R9EALw_wcB

United States of America
buster53
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2001, Carver 356

Postby buster53 » August 10th, 2018, 9:32 am

buster53 wrote:While a new fixture would be nice, I just want to replace the bulb with an LED. Any problems with replacing the bulb I need to know about?

Well, I pulled one of the sockets out of the wall to remove the bulb so I would know what type LED replacement bulb to buy. Anyway, the socket is so small, my fingers won't fit to pull the bulb out. Any suggestions

Topic author United States of America
tgmkwill
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1997 355 Carver Aft

Postby tgmkwill » August 10th, 2018, 11:55 am

If you squeeze and pull the black rubber part I circled in pic , that part will separate from the plastic shroud that covers the bulb. The bulb is "wedge" style instead of two prongs going in to the socket. Only way I know to get that bulb out, I even had my wife to try remove the bulb with her small fingers before I just pulled the hole fixture out. She couldn't do it with out squeezin the bulb so hard that it might break.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » August 10th, 2018, 12:09 pm

I love the one pic there with all the tools out, reminds me of what happens quite a lot .....why does a seemingly simple thing turn into getting out half the toolbox... :-D
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
Bandit
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: ‘99 Carver 404

Postby Bandit » July 3rd, 2019, 10:01 am

Has anyone found an LED step light to replace those pictured by tgmkwill with same bolt pattern? My plastic fixture is melted.

Also looking to replace my outer hooded deck lights

Return to “Electrical”