Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

When Was Fuel Injection Introduced?

GAS engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author United States of America
steveoh
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

When Was Fuel Injection Introduced?

Postby steveoh » August 9th, 2018, 3:24 pm

Anybody have an idea in what model year fuel injection was introduced in the Crusader engines? Also, I read something that said the CM 350XL was fresh water cooled, but I thought all these were raw water cooled.

United States of America
390Express
Captain
Captain
Vessel Info: 1996 390 Trojan Express

Re: When Was Fuel Injection Introduced?

Postby 390Express » August 9th, 2018, 5:36 pm

steveoh wrote:Source of the post Anybody have an idea in what model year fuel injection was introduced in the Crusader engines? Also, I read something that said the CM 350XL was fresh water cooled, but I thought all these were raw water cooled.

I believe it was 1995. I have 1996 454XL, TBI engines in mine. The first versions were low fuel pressure (12-13 psi) systems. Cooling had more to do with the boat manufacturer than the engine manufacturer.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » August 9th, 2018, 9:56 pm

Do you mean any fuel injection - TBI or MPI?

Topic author United States of America
steveoh
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby steveoh » August 9th, 2018, 11:04 pm

km1125 wrote:Source of the post Do you mean any fuel injection - TBI or MPI?

Sure. I'm interested in any info you can share. I looked at a 1999 326 and it had multipoint injection and I'm just wondering if I could go several years older and get either TBI or MPI. I definitely am not an engine guy, but based on experience with cars and a motorcycle I owned, I'm under the impression fuel injection has some advantages (e.g. more reliable/easy starting).

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » August 10th, 2018, 9:57 am

I don't know if I'd be interested in an "early" marine fuel injection system, especially compared to a carb.

If you think about it, the carbs were 'tried and true" for many decades. When fuel injection was introduced in the marine environment, there was a "learning curve" on how to make them reliable considering the environment they have to operate in. I wouldn't have any concern buying a current generation FI system, or any recent vintage, but I don't know if I'd be so set on the early ones without knowing a lot about the specific reliability history of that version. Not much different than the early electronic ignitions. They were prone to failures, whereas the old points systems were reliable but a annoying with the annual maintenance. For the last ~20 years, electronic ignition was certainly the way to go.

United States of America
390Express
Captain
Captain
Vessel Info: 1996 390 Trojan Express

Postby 390Express » August 17th, 2018, 12:22 am

I agree with KM. If you want something reliable and trouble free, get the newer MPI style systems. FWIW, Mercruiser had MPI systems as early as 1995 - they developed their own manifold and system, and it works really well. The only difference between the 1995 system, and the newer 2003-2005 systems (I'm not sure if Merc is still using their MPI or not) is the MEFI computer, but for a cruiser application, it shouldn't matter much.

Merc also uses a GM version. You could get both in a cruiser, but the lower HP MPI seems more standard fair. The Merc MPI 330hp uses the GM MPI. Their 385HP magnum motors use their system. Crusader uses the GM MPI exclusively, to the best of my knowledge.

Return to “Gas Engines/Transmissions”