Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Trip Checklist

ImageThis forum is for general discussion of all things Boating. If it's boating related and doesn't fit in another forum, post it here!

Topic author United States of America
Serendipity
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 405

Trip Checklist

Postby Serendipity » August 12th, 2018, 2:52 pm

A search of the forum did not produce a checklist for a trip.

So I have decided to enjoy the boat in the Gulf of Mexico for a couple months or so, but keep my home base slip. I am going to drive the boat from Northern Galveston Texas to Orange Beach Alabama/Perdido Key Florida this Weds through Saturday.

So I am charting it tomorrow, but I would estimate 400-500 miles as it is 503 miles by car. Probably closer to 400 by ICW.

Since we dont have one on the forum, can anyone share their trip checklist with us or take a picture of their written out checklist to upload and share.

We have numerous people wanting to do the great loop and more, just maybe your list will save someone a major headache or item that is needed on a long trip.

Maybe this can be a running checklist we all can check from time to time. This forum is worth its weight in Gold.

Thanks everyone and happy boating.

P.S. Being the inexperienced captain I am, my first item on my checklist is a retired Master Captain who runs a boat safety school where he teaches students how to be a captain. I am very honored to make this trip with someone who will teach me how to make a trip safely.

United States of America
denpooch
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2005 360 Mariner
Crusader 6.0 Captains Choice

Re: Trip Checklist

Postby denpooch » August 12th, 2018, 9:22 pm

Hey there,
I can’t provide a checklist as I have not made a trip like that but I think it’s great!
I do have a suggestion that may be of some benefit. Take a look at a free mapping program called: OPENCPN.ORG
I found out about this program at a Power Squadron seminar.
Download the appropriate maps for you area and you can get an exact measurement of distance.
You will be able to preplan the trip and your perusal will give you a good idea of ‘aides to navigationl’, hazards, etc.
The program will enable you to plan the trip in conjunction with your gps system.
Best wishes for safe and enjoyable travels. I think that your idea to take along a captain the first time around is a great idea.
Lots of luck.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » August 12th, 2018, 9:52 pm

Great call on taking the captain......enjoy your adventure....... :captain:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
PJHoffnet
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby PJHoffnet » August 13th, 2018, 12:35 am

denpooch wrote:Source of the post Hey there,
I can’t provide a checklist as I have not made a trip like that but I think it’s great!
I do have a suggestion that may be of some benefit. Take a look at a free mapping program called: OPENCPN.ORG

x2 ... Love this program. Do all my voyage planning and waypoint development on it ... save things to .gpx format and back to the boat it goes. End of the day on the boat, .gpx out the day's track and it gets loaded into my OPENCPN 'data base'. Easiest way, for an older 'non-wireless' capable Chart Plotter (SIMRAD NSS12, to voyage plan, and also serves as my 'back up' navigator (on phone and tablet) while underway. Free, program and charts, is the best price money can buy.

WRT a check list, I'd offer this
- Every piece of 'required' safety gear for your size boat and crew (fire extinguishers, PFDs, day/night signaling, VHF -hand held and fixed, TowBoatUS card, etc.)
- Spare parts (for things you can work on, based on skills) based on distance off shore and planned stops.
- Food that doesn't need to be cooked/refrigerated. PLENTY of water.
- Damage control tool roll with plugs, DC tape, dewatering pump with long 12V leads
- Two means of GPS (out of cell range) navigation.
- EPIRB/PLB depending on how far you're planning on going off shore.
- Float plan left behind with responsible adult/CG

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » August 13th, 2018, 6:52 am

Good list Paul. I would add though to not limit spare parts to what you're able to replace yourself. This will eliminate having to wait for a part that may not be readily available along the way. Having it on board will get you up and running faster even if you have to get someone else to do it for you.
Take fuel filters, impellers and belts.

United States of America
PJHoffnet
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby PJHoffnet » August 14th, 2018, 1:47 am

Viper wrote:Source of the post Good list Paul. I would add though to not limit spare parts to what you're able to replace yourself. This will eliminate having to wait for a part that may not be readily available along the way.

Great point.

Return to “General Boating Discussion”