Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

What is the best product to clean a nasty bilge?

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author
jwrape
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 79' Carver 28 Mariner Twin Pleasurecraft 302's (For Sale $12,300)
85' Carver 3207 Aft with Mercury 5.7L

What is the best product to clean a nasty bilge?

Postby jwrape » April 30th, 2014, 6:44 am

In my 3207 I inherited a disgusting bilge. The motors were re manufactured and when they replaced them they left a lot of trash and oil in the bilge. What is the best way to get all that nasty out. I want a clean bilge. I had stepping down there and then can't get back into my salon without tracking grease everywhere.

United States of America
waybomb
CYO Moderator
CYO Moderator
Vessel Info: 1995 Boston Whaler Rage15
1987 3697 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar 46 Kevlar Vee offshore
1969 15' Glasspar / 1967 Johnson Electromatic 85
1996 Boston Whaler Rage 15

Re: What is the best product to clean a nasty bilge?

Postby waybomb » April 30th, 2014, 1:13 pm

Maybe too late now, but I clean mine once it's out of the water, and have them block bow high. Then start hosing the bilge toward the back. A few bottles of Dawn dish soap work great. But you will also need brushes and towels and have to make tools to get in there and scrub everything.

Have fun!
Thanks
Fred
1969 Glaspar Avalon /1969 Johnson Electromatic 85
1987 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar Kevlar 46' with triple blown 572 ci
1995 Boston Whaler Rage
Past - 1988 2807, 1989 4207 Aft

Topic author
jwrape
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby jwrape » May 1st, 2014, 6:24 am

I'm going to try the dawn and a lot of elbow grease. Dawn takes Grease out of your way right? :-)

Canada
Lyndon670
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2000 Carver 506
Volvo TAMD74EDC

Postby Lyndon670 » May 4th, 2014, 1:13 pm

The best I have found is Castrol Super Clean. Grab a "bag of rags" at your auto parts store and some Super Clean and you will be amazed. Best part of this is you can do it in the water, doesn't have to be out of the water. You can also spray soak a mop with the Super Clean to get yo those hard to reach places. Doing it this way the rags are cleaning up the mess, and you can throw them into a garbage bag, vs pumping the dawn, grease and soap suds overboard.
Lyndon,
2000 Carver 506
FOXY JOE
Volvo 7.4TAMD
Queens Cove Marina
Georgian Bay, Ontario

Topic author
jwrape
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby jwrape » May 6th, 2014, 6:56 am

I ended up using a HUGE bottle of Dawn and a toilet brush and scrubbing everything I could get the brush on. It worked pretty well. I got most of it clean. I am going to have to vacuum the water and chunks out of the very bottom next time I go out there.
I found a lot fo zip ties and a spark plug down there from the re-powering.

After Taxes
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 'After Taxes'
2004 Carver Mariner 360
Lake Simcoe & Georgian Bay,
Ontario, Canada

Postby After Taxes » September 25th, 2014, 9:33 pm

I like all of the above ideas and products. Every boater has a mop on board, and I bought a good one for my decks. But I bought a cheapie mop and leave it in the engine room. I should have done this years ago, because those long handle mops are great for getting into nooks and crannies I cannot reach. The mop gets disgustingly dirty - that's just great - because that means it's picking up oil and dirt. Squirt your degreaser cleaner into the bilge, add some water, and mop away. Sure, it's messy to wring that dirty mop out, but it is a big help. And actually, the mop becomes clean after using soap and rinsing it in the lake.

Anyway, I'm very glad to hear of another boater who takes the time to clean up down below. I think it's the sign of a good Captain!

Good luck. How about posting a photo of your freshly squeaky clean engine room?

Steve
2004 Carver Mariner 360
MerCruiser MX 6.2
Lake Simcoe, Ontario

Chuck123
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Chuck123 » October 14th, 2014, 3:13 am

Dawn dishwashing liquid seems to work well. You pretty much have to scrub with anything you use to get it clean. You also have to use products that won't harm metals or the plastic and rubber in your bilge pump.

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”