Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Volvo Penta relay box

GAS engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author Canada
pepmyster
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2004 Carver 360 Sport Sedan
8.1 Volvo Penta
Fresh water boating

Volvo Penta relay box

Postby pepmyster » September 12th, 2018, 6:31 am

Just wondering, has anyone else seen this problem. 8.1 VP 2004. No double beep when turning the ignition on. All guages work, when the beep is not there, the engine turns but no start. My search shows possible relay box which is mounted on the engine. Sometimes I get the beep, sometimes no. Last time it was at the gas dock!!! Not all the time but very annoying if you want to leave the hook to go back to the dock. Any input would be great, Thanks guys!!!

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Volvo Penta relay box

Postby bud37 » September 12th, 2018, 10:39 am

I think you are probably on the right track......I know there are some diagnostics that can be done but quite honestly I would get a new solenoid and the relays you spoke of and replace.....at this point if it works fine great, if not then you have spares to use down the road, no harm no foul IMO......good luck man...... :beergood:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Topic author Canada
pepmyster
Admiral
Admiral
8.1 Volvo Penta
Fresh water boating

Postby pepmyster » September 12th, 2018, 12:24 pm

I agree, not being one to change parts for nothing, I saw a bulletin for this type of thing from Volvo penta, I’ll hunt one down.

Topic author Canada
pepmyster
Admiral
Admiral
8.1 Volvo Penta
Fresh water boating

Postby pepmyster » September 17th, 2018, 6:01 am

So this week-end, I removed all the relays in the control box, turned on the ignition, no double beep. One by one I inserted the relays, the one that did the double beep was the ignition relay. The feet of the relay were alittle blackened. I bent the feet out a bit to make a cr=ertain contact, then tried multiple times, never failed. In that bulletin, it says which relay boxes numberes are to be replaced and mine was one of them. also, in the serial numbers for the motors, mine was one of them . guess what, I'm ordering a new relay box.
http://www.marinepartsexpress.com/VP_Se ... placed.pdf

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » September 17th, 2018, 6:12 am

FYI they are available on eBay for around $200 US. ;-) https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Volvo-Penta-Fus ... 3027286112
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » September 17th, 2018, 9:29 am

Volvo doesn't sell the original part anymore because they were problematic. Apparently there are a few differences internally and the new kit deals with the vibration issue they were having with the old setup. The Volvo retail for the kit is $337.82.

Topic author Canada
pepmyster
Admiral
Admiral
8.1 Volvo Penta
Fresh water boating

Postby pepmyster » September 17th, 2018, 9:51 am

Logically, I should be going for the original, no?

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » September 17th, 2018, 12:27 pm

Pep...if were me, I believe you have found your problem for now and repaired it.....so at this point I would contact Volvo and see what the latest upgrade is for THEIR known problem and go from there.....no sense in buying older parts if there is a good upgrade just been produced...then you will have the part number etc....just my 2 cents ....remember you have two engines here, so double everything.........
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » September 18th, 2018, 11:51 am

pepmyster wrote:Source of the post Logically, I should be going for the original, no?

You should be upgrading to the kit that has the anti vibration hardware included in it. Sure you can simply buy a replacement original but you'll still have the vibration issue to deal with. That could take your new box out in a short time, or it may last for years...impossible to say, but it was enough of a concern and the feedback from the field that precipitated a change and bulletin over ten years ago.

Can you post an engine serial number.

Topic author Canada
pepmyster
Admiral
Admiral
8.1 Volvo Penta
Fresh water boating

Postby pepmyster » September 18th, 2018, 12:41 pm

DCDFC0C7-C723-465D-BC05-C9A56BADA9DE.jpeg

Sorry for being upside down.............
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by pepmyster on September 18th, 2018, 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Gas Engines/Transmissions”