Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Bimini/ flybridge canvas colors

Topic author Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Bimini/ flybridge canvas colors

Postby bud37 » June 12th, 2018, 8:07 pm

Has anyone out there found a canvas color that is cooler than another.I have had black, and white....and now a tan color that I swear is hotter underneath than the black....the forum is open for opinions on canvas colors...
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
throwback2
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 1987 Carver 28 Voyager,twin small blocks,1991 Shamrock,350 Chevy now.
1973 Atlantic Craft 15, 2004 2 smoke Merc 40,
and a few other water toys

Re: Bimini/ flybridge canvas colors

Postby throwback2 » June 13th, 2018, 12:06 pm

My 28' Voyager has burgandy colored ; bridge cover, top bimini enclosure ,windshield covers, and cockpit bimini in Sunbrella material. I don't like the color and am thinking of changing all to black soon.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » June 13th, 2018, 8:52 pm

Under equal conditions and the same fabric, I suspect as with anything else, the darker the colour the more it will absorb the sun's rays rather than reflect them as lighter colours would. I know folks that have had white canvas and while they thought is was the coolest they've experienced, they found it to be the hardest colour to keep clean and eventually gave it up for a darker colour that doesn't show the dirt so easily.

United States of America
SplashyLady
Captain
Captain
Vessel Info: Carver 3227 Sedan Convertible
1986 - 260 Mercruisers - Kohler 5E

Postby SplashyLady » June 14th, 2018, 10:23 am

Off-white and light tan all do pretty well. Navy, burgundy, red, black are hot. Light green and light blue seem to be less hot than some other infrared colors. Heat is toward the infrared side of the spectrum - red-orange-yellow. The other end Blue-Violet are less likely to emit heat - but dark will always be hotter than light. We changed our canvas from Navy to Capri - Capri is a lighter blue (lighter than the popular Pacific Blue) and there is a big difference in temperature underneath.
Captain John
Past Commodore, Peninsula Yacht Club
Lake Norman, NC
Carver 3227 - "Splashy Lady"
Aquasport 222CCP - "Gone Fission"

United States of America
MuzzledRooster
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1987 Carver Voyager 2827

Postby MuzzledRooster » August 16th, 2018, 5:36 pm

Got any pics of your boat with the burgundy canvas? We're trying to decide what color will work best for us.

Doh! Just realized this post is a couple years old. Still interested though.
1987 Carver Voyager 2827
2007 Rinker 240 DB
Home Port - St. Charles, MO USA

Topic author Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » September 17th, 2018, 7:45 am

bud37 wrote:Source of the post Has anyone out there found a canvas color that is cooler than another.I have had black, and white....and now a tan color that I swear is hotter underneath than the black....the forum is open for opinions on canvas colors...

Bump....have now contracted to get new canvas with the rear extension for the Mariner...have to wait till next year as guy is booked till then.......so the original color is something called toast, just looking maybe some other options as we have ruled out seamark, it will probably be sunbrella, but I am still wrestling with the heat that comes thru the top ( getting old with some issues )....opinions...
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » September 17th, 2018, 12:36 pm

I have a serious preference for black canvas on boats, timeless and just looks great on any of them unless you have a different coloured hull that clashes with it. My previous boat had a perfectly good tan top when I purchased it. Swapped it out in the first few months of ownership to black. :-D

That being said, there are 2 Mariners at our marina, both have black canvas and look great. If I go there this weekend I will snap a few pictures for you of the one with the rear extension as I am sure there are quite a few variations on this depending on who does the work just like mine, never saw a 41cmy with a rear canvas extension as it was custom made and never offered from the factory.
Last edited by Midnightsun on September 17th, 2018, 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Topic author Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » September 17th, 2018, 6:00 pm

Hans, I totally agree on the black...all of our boats have had black canvas so far until this one.....and I cant get past the heat under it.....oddly enuf the fibreglass color on the boat seems a bit on the biege side, not quite white so I have a year to decide....I was hoping to find something that cuts the uv going thru the top material.....thanks in advance for the pics.......I think I have looked at every pic on yacht world etc .... :-D

United States of America
waybomb
CYO Moderator
CYO Moderator
Vessel Info: 1995 Boston Whaler Rage15
1987 3697 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar 46 Kevlar Vee offshore
1969 15' Glasspar / 1967 Johnson Electromatic 85
1996 Boston Whaler Rage 15

Postby waybomb » September 17th, 2018, 6:22 pm

I'd think that most of the heat gain is not through the canvas but through the clear vinyl
Thanks
Fred
1969 Glaspar Avalon /1969 Johnson Electromatic 85
1987 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar Kevlar 46' with triple blown 572 ci
1995 Boston Whaler Rage
Past - 1988 2807, 1989 4207 Aft

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » September 17th, 2018, 6:25 pm

One more thing. I had the rear extension canvas made up of Sunbrella, no vinyl whatsoever. The large rear section does zip open to a large mosquito screen. Reason I did this is canvas can be folded up easily and stuffed under a seat unlike vinyl that needs TLC all the time. Being it is the rear extension, we tend to remove the back and sides when we get there almost immediately or the next morning and only put it back on if there is going to be a hard rain or when we leave the boat. Great decision I made and do not regret it one bit.

Just realised I have no picture of the rear sides and back installed in my album, will correct that. :captain: In the mean time, this is a shot from the inside from the on board camera live about 5 mins ago. :-D

Another from the mid cockpit.

Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Return to “The Project Center”