Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Carver Mariner 350 Bed mattress issues

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
amanphoto
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: carver mariner 350

Carver Mariner 350 Bed mattress issues

Postby amanphoto » September 24th, 2018, 10:37 am

So here is the problem. The bed in my 1999 Carver Mariner 350 sucks - well, the mattress sucks. The shape and position against the wall sucks too, but more about that latter. The block of foam that came as the stock bed is very firm and we wake up with a sore back. To help solve this issue, I put a 3" queen sized memory foam topper on the bed. It's a little better but it's still kind of firm and as you sink into it all night, you back hurts in the morning. The queen sized memory foam is unruly, to big and overhangs the bed. So, I've decided to add another 3" of memory foam, full size this time, to help soften things up even more. Now the bed is a little hard to get into being even higher off the ground. In addition to being to tall, the full sized memory foam is to narrow for the stock bed.

I have not mentioned the large wedge shaped space at the top bed, between the mattress and the chain locker. The mattress is flush to the wall on the starboard side and is about 12" away on the port side. There is a shallow fiberglass wall (hump) that hold the mattress in place but is large enough to loose some pillows in at night. We sleep with our heads at the bow and end up stuffing some pillows in there.

I'm out of my mind....

The plan is to make a new mattress over the winter. My questions are as fallows...
1. Is there a minimum foam thickness or foam layer formula for building a foam mattress? For example so many inches of foam #, then so many inches of foam #, then...

2. Do I make the mattress go over the fiberglass hump at the top of the bed? If I do, I'm going to need custom made sheets.

3. It's a custom shaped bed. The starboard top corner is rounded to I'm going to have to trim the corner off. Also the starboard edge is tapered. The thicker the bed is, the more space (gap) there is in the starboard side.

What have you done to make a comfy nights sleep? Any make a custom mattress for their Carver? I don't want to put a sock twin mattress in there. It will not match the contour of the boat.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Re: Carver Mariner 350 Bed mattress issues

Postby tomschauer » September 24th, 2018, 9:56 pm

We bought a 6" queen latex mattress from the foam factory and cut it to fit our odd sized bed. Very happy, sleeping well.

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Postby RGrew176 » September 24th, 2018, 10:49 pm

Not quite the same situation as you. When I bought my 3007 Aft Cabin in 2015 the first thing I noticed was how hard the "mattress" in the aft cabin was. Like yours it was difficult almost impossible to get a good nights sleep on. Like you I purchased a 1 1/2" memory foam mattress topper. On top of that I took a medium thickness comforter folded it in half and I placed that on top of the memory foam. Then the usual mattress cover and sheets. Now I sleep quite well. It is a lot more comfortable than it was with just the plain mattress.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

Liechtenstein
chpsk8
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver Aft Cabin Motor Yacht... Hull #001

Postby chpsk8 » September 25th, 2018, 8:08 pm

Do you have a company called Mattress Factory near you? They custom make mattresses for a reasonable price.
We've used a 3" foam topper I got off amazon with good luck. Electric knife to shape it. Next one I'm going to mattress factory and getting exactly what I want.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » September 26th, 2018, 11:09 am

We have a place local called the Foam Factory. You can make a pattern with some heavy paper and take it to them. They have several varieties of foam and will custom make a mattress of different densities and thicknesses of foam depending on what you're looking for. Did mine about 12 years ago but I only went with a single density foam block and it's worked for us.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » September 26th, 2018, 11:40 am

Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Topic author United States of America
amanphoto
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: carver mariner 350

Postby amanphoto » September 29th, 2018, 3:54 pm

This is the top of the bed. The originall mattress is rounded. The toppers are back about 6” back from that. There is also the plastic bump that sticks out.

86D568FE-33A2-4EAA-9388-32073E2FCE87.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

United States of America
Bentone23
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1996 Carver 355 Aft Cabin
454 xls EFI

Postby Bentone23 » November 18th, 2018, 11:06 pm

I sent my mattress off to be copied 2 weeks ago. Mine is too soft and my shoulder and hip rest on the hard fiberglass all night. Very painful. My aft cabin mattress is an odd size too. The mattress company should be done next week. They charged me $600 which I thought was reasonable for a custom mattress.
Bruce Bennett
Bentone23@sbcglobal.net
1996 355 Aft Cabin
Central California
Boating on the Delta and SF Bay

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”