Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Closing engine vents for winter

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Re: Closing engine vents for winter

Postby Midnightsun » October 5th, 2018, 4:33 am

Sailor Jerry wrote:Source of the post I'm on the Tennessee River. Temperature will only drop below freezing occasionally. The boat stays in the water all winter, so I'm trying to keep the cold air out.

Ah, I see said the blind man to his deaf wife. :-D In that case I would make up some nice Sunbrella covers with snaps as mentioned elsewhere in this thread.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » October 5th, 2018, 7:09 am

Sailor Jerry wrote:Source of the post If shrink wrap will keep the cold out, that sure sounds easy.

If you're going to use shrink tape against your hull, use preservation tape instead of the regular stuff. It won't leave any glue residue on your hull when you remove it in the spring.

United States of America
denpooch
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2005 360 Mariner
Crusader 6.0 Captains Choice

Postby denpooch » October 7th, 2018, 9:24 am

I second Mike's (mjk1040) comment. I store my boat on the hard, outside in the elements, covered by shrink wrap. It's gonna get cold in the engine compartment anyway so I don't understand the concern about 'keeping the cold out'. I'd be interested in understanding the thinking behind the procedure. Thanks.

United States of America
dabluzdude
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1991 33AC

Postby dabluzdude » October 7th, 2018, 2:47 pm

Most likely, the boat is not "winterized" as you would think of it, being from New York. This boat is left in the water with a bilge heater to protect it from freezing, if/when the temperatures dip that low. The covering of the vents helps keep the heat from the bilge heater in, and the cold wind out.

Topic author United States of America
Sailor Jerry
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1996 Carver 355

Postby Sailor Jerry » October 7th, 2018, 9:20 pm

I would like to use the snaps, they just don't hold the covers. About half the snaps are fine, but half are too loose and the cover falls half open. I wonder if there is a way to correct this? It would be easier than making something else, since I already have covers.

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Postby g36 » October 7th, 2018, 9:41 pm

if the actual cover is ok then reuse it and snaps are easily replaced on both the boat and cover. if on the cover you can drill out the center of the snap and then reinstall new ones. use something like this inexpensive kit
link it not posting but go to amazon and put this in the search its $15.00
62Pcs Stainless Steel Fastener Screw Snap Kit in Storage Box, Marine Grade, 3/8" Socket #6-5/8" with 2 Pcs Setting Tool

1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

United States of America
AaHubb
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: '99 404 CPMY
my twin diesel pusher

Postby AaHubb » October 8th, 2018, 10:19 am

Seadragon spends the winter in her slip so covering the vents is helpful. I made a pair of covers using outdoor plywood that fit into the recessed area of the vents. Some eyebolts and bungee cords threaded behind the grills holds them in place.

..Aaron
'99 404 CPMY
SeaDragon

Topic author United States of America
Sailor Jerry
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1996 Carver 355

Postby Sailor Jerry » October 8th, 2018, 4:26 pm

Thanks to all who responded. It isn't that I don't like the snaps. About half of them are worn, I guess, because they fit so loosely that the cover falls open.

Canada
Tireless
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2006 Carver 44 CMY
Volvo Penta D6 370 HP

Postby Tireless » October 16th, 2018, 5:30 pm

I am in Port Severn, Ontario, Canada and I cover my vessel with a Genco cover that I had made for it. It covers the vessel from the top down to the chine. I have never put a cover specifically over the side vents. I was always of the belief that the vessel should be allowed to breath through the winter to not trap moisture in the bilge. I might be wrong about that, but I also open up a couple port holes in the cabin as well. Interesting topic, as I spoke about this with a boater friend this morning prior to reading this post. Would be interested in hearing why you would cover these vents. Maybe something to look at.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » October 16th, 2018, 6:12 pm

Tireless...Welcome to the forum....they are talking about boats being left in the water for the winter and keeping the heat in and the cold out, much like your house.....unlike us, who are totally winterized with the boat in the parking lot, we just need to ventilate a bit and keep the critters out........ :beergood:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”