Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Helm fuel transfer switch

DIESEL engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author United States of America
thp1957
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2001 Carver 356
Cummins Diesels

Helm fuel transfer switch

Postby thp1957 » August 22nd, 2018, 10:10 am

Hi, there’s a fuel transfer switch on the helm of my ‘01 356 diesel. It shows transferring between the port and starboard tanks.

Do the fuel valves in the engine room need to changed in order to direct fuel between the tanks via the helm switch?

United States of America
fleck05
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1983 Carver 3607 Aft Cabin

Re: Helm fuel transfer switch

Postby fleck05 » October 29th, 2018, 5:38 pm

I'm kind of curious, too. My fuel transfer button looks like it might have been added later by the look of the panel. Does anyone know if this was an available feature or added after-market?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1983 Carver 3607 Aft Cabin

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » October 29th, 2018, 7:05 pm

The fuel selector valves have no bearing on the fuel transfer however there is a valve between the tanks that connects the 2 for fuel transfer and this valve needs to be open. The instructions say to close the valve when not in use however this is a royal pita so basically I leave mine in the open position all the time, oh my, put me in jail! :-D This is factory on mine but then again in an older vintage yours may not be set up the same. My switch was like the one in the picture which I found a little dated so I swapped it out for this which is an exact match of all my other dash switches. https://www.greatlakesskipper.com/catal ... witch&cat=
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » October 29th, 2018, 8:39 pm

As Hans mentioned, the selector valves are separate from the transfer system. Not every system has a valve in the transfer line so take a look to see what you have so you're familiar with your equipment. Check the fittings and the pump itself for leaks. If the pump doesn't work, you can either replace it or simply use your selector valves to manage fuel usage from the tanks.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » October 29th, 2018, 9:32 pm

EDIT- OOPS... I was actually replying to post #2 instead of #1... I didn't scroll all the way to the top
-------------------------------------------------------
I'd say that's an add-on and definitely not stock.

Do you have diesels? I have a 3607 but it is gas. I've thought about putting a fuel transfer switch in. Wondering how yours works. Do you have to hold that switch either left or right, or does it stay there. If it stays, I wonder if they have something to prevent an overflow in the tank you're pumping towards.
---------------------------------------------------------

United States of America
ScubaPete
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2002 Carver 406
Cummins 6BTA 330's

Postby ScubaPete » November 26th, 2018, 2:06 pm

My fuel transfer switch on the helm dash looks exactly like the one pictured above, it's just mounted in a different spot. Had to replace the switch, it's a simple reversing switch. As it is switched, the pump runs in one direction or the other depending on the polarity of the wiring.

Return to “Diesel Engines/Transmissions”