Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

88 Carver ,Crusader engine swap?

GAS engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: 88 Carver ,Crusader engine swap?

Postby bud37 » November 6th, 2018, 2:18 pm

No sweat...the usual giveaway is the engine paint color....black / merc........blue / crusader, pleasure craft, Chrysler.......red / volvo or something like that....sounds like those may be a bit newer, maybe get a serial number to help the guys with the years for parts.....good luck man...... :beergood:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » November 7th, 2018, 7:10 am

So are you getting those items from Autozone or a Merc dealer? If not a Merc dealer, make sure you're getting marine rated hardware or you could be placing yourself in a dangerous position. Items that are potential sources of sparks such as starters and alternators need to be ignition proof.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » November 7th, 2018, 12:51 pm

rsims62 wrote:Source of the post O Brother, DONT"T Shoot me, LOL..
So I go today and take a really good look at engines, NOT CRUSADER, 5.0 Mercruisers, Thunder bolt!!! What a DOPE IM!!Sorry guys..... THe PO said he had replaced them , I was so concerned about putting New Bilge pumps in I never looked at the Top of the engines... SOOOO , Im going to get the belts on tomorrow I hope, Its pouring here today, and either way, Im having it towed to my Slip and go from there.
At least I know what parts go too. So Ill be looking for Carb, Starter, Alternator. Disty.

Don't feel back. A LOOONG long time ago when I was buying a boat, the insurance company asked me what kind of engines it had. I told them "Mercruiser Crusaders" thinking that the Crusader was just a model of a Mercruiser because I had only ever seen Mercruisers in boats before.

They called me back later and said "NO, it's one or the other". Since I knew there were stickers on it that said "Crusader", I went with that (and of course was correct) and then learned that there were several marine engine manufactures out there.

Topic author United States of America
rsims62
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1988 Mariner 28ft

Postby rsims62 » November 10th, 2018, 10:29 pm

Hi All
I have the Parts, Circ pump, alternator, Carbs,Starter,Disty and ignition parts. Im hoping to get there Monday and install. Will keep you updated, ALL MARINE PARTS..

rs

United States of America
buster53
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2001, Carver 356

Postby buster53 » November 22nd, 2018, 4:19 am

rsims62 wrote:Source of the post Hi All
I have the Parts, Circ pump, alternator, Carbs,Starter,Disty and ignition parts. Im hoping to get there Monday and install. Will keep you updated, ALL MARINE PARTS..

rs

So, what's the scoop? Inquiring minds want to know

Return to “Gas Engines/Transmissions”