Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Fuel Sender/FLoat Leaking

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
ronmar
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1993 350 Aft Cabin

Fuel Sender/FLoat Leaking

Postby ronmar » September 12th, 2018, 10:03 am

I have been getting fuel smells in my boat, and replacing fuel fill hoses and vent hoses. In the process I found my fuel sender/floats are leaking on port and starboard sides. Cannot seem to find replacements. There are numbers on top flange that are 175 2614 and are 17 1/2" long. The gauges are VDO dual station. Anyone know where to get replacements? :banghead:
Boat is 1 93 350 Aft Cabin

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Fuel Sender/FLoat Leaking

Postby bud37 » September 12th, 2018, 10:23 am

Is there a gasket there which could be replaced....make new one and reseal.....
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Topic author United States of America
ronmar
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1993 350 Aft Cabin

Postby ronmar » September 12th, 2018, 7:53 pm

Thought of that but they have not been working like they should, I've already got the accesses all removed from changing new hoses, and vents, and the senders are right where I'm working. Might as well replace while I'm there and don't have to tear things apart again. (ounce of prevention). However, having issues finding replacements. Did come across Moeller #035767-10.I think is same gauge and is correct length. Description does not say if compatible with a dual station or not. I don't know if there is a difference between dual station and single station as to the sender.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » September 12th, 2018, 8:15 pm

I would give VDO a shout with a model number to see what resistance your particular gauge uses in order to change the sender. Seems like VDO made a bunch of different stuff. Any sender will work if you match the resistance and appropriated depth of tank. https://www.vdo-instruments.com/instrum ... /fuel.html
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » September 13th, 2018, 3:04 pm

ronmar wrote:Source of the post I don't know if there is a difference between dual station and single station as to the sender.

I believe there is, if two stations make sure what you get the sender that is ok for that use, same with single..there is usually a stipulation on the unit.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » September 14th, 2018, 6:57 am

It's critical that you find out the resistance window of the gauge before you get a sender. Typically the senders are single station, really depends on how your application is wired. You should be able to find out from Carver the part number and supplier. From there it's just a matter of finding someone that carries it. Having said that, if they are working and you're just trying to stop them from leaking, there are sender gaskets on the market. As long as yours are the standard 5 hole pattern, they should work. Do you know if they're leaking through the gasket or the screws? You could seal both with a fuel rated gasket sealant and also put some on the screws, just try not to get any on the inside of the tank. AND ventilate when you're working down there...no sparks please :-O

United States of America
Bentone23
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1996 Carver 355 Aft Cabin
454 xls EFI

Postby Bentone23 » November 9th, 2018, 11:43 pm

I have fuel smells too. I might be checking that now.
Bruce Bennett
Bentone23@sbcglobal.net
1996 355 Aft Cabin
Central California
Boating on the Delta and SF Bay

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » November 10th, 2018, 10:33 am

If it's a dual station, so you have momentary switches so that one gauge is for both tanks, and you use the switch to set which tank the gauge is indicating?

That's how mine is, so essentially only one gauge is hooked up at any given time even though I have dual stations, so I would use a single-station sender if I had to replace it.

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”