Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

115 VAC #1 Panel

Discussion of batteries, chargers, wiring, generators, distribution panels, battery switches, etc.

Topic author
nolacarver
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1979 33' carver
New Orleans, LA

115 VAC #1 Panel

Postby nolacarver » June 9th, 2014, 10:02 am

When I turn on my sure power the volt meter reads 115volts but my A.C. amperes meter stays at 0 and the breaker trips when my portable a/c compressor kicks on. The battery charger is also on the same circuit and the A/C worked well for 1 week prior to this happening. The amperes meter is still 0 with the circuit breakers off. What could cause this? Thanks for any suggestions . 1979 carver33' all original.

United States of America
AaHubb
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: '99 404 CPMY
my twin diesel pusher

Re: 115 VAC #1 Panel

Postby AaHubb » June 9th, 2014, 7:28 pm

What is a sure power? Did you mean shore power? It's possible the amp meter is not working and you are actually drawing too much power. Check for other heavy amp draw equipment on at the same time ( water heater comes to mind).
'99 404 CPMY
SeaDragon

Topic author
nolacarver
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1979 33' carver
New Orleans, LA

Postby nolacarver » June 10th, 2014, 7:42 am

Lol.. Yes shore power .. Not a electrician but assuming if I use a hand held amp meter and test the amps at the outlet , this should tell me if my on board panel meter is not working.. Is this correct?

United States of America
AaHubb
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: '99 404 CPMY
my twin diesel pusher

Postby AaHubb » June 10th, 2014, 8:54 pm

You can check voltage at an outlet. To check for current (amps) you need a clamp on style meter. The meter should be clamped around the black (hot) wire only to get a proper reading. This is easiest to do from inside the AC panel. Be careful as there is exposed 115vac. Safest way is to turn off main breaker, connect amp meter, while watching meter turn on main breaker.
'99 404 CPMY
SeaDragon

Return to “Electrical”