Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

New to the group and looking at a Riviera

Are you a new member? Stop in and say hi!

Topic author Canada
Pat1781
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1984 Carver Riviera

New to the group and looking at a Riviera

Postby Pat1781 » November 27th, 2018, 11:49 am

Good day to you all. Patrick from Ontario and recently put a deposit down on a 1983 Carver Riviera and was hoping to get some insight on what to look for. The boat is in very good condition with very low hours for its age (460). Right now it is in storage for the winter and the plan is to do the water test in May. I am coming from the sailing community but with three children under 8 my wife and I decided a powerboat might be better for us at this point :)
She is equipped with 220 crusaders, hot water tank (recently replaced), no generator, and basically bone stock otherwise with the exception of a new Standard Horizon chart plotter.
Are there any specific systems I should really go over? Any weak points on this boat that need closer scrutiny?
Appreciate the help and look forward to hearing from you.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: New to the group and looking at a Riviera

Postby bud37 » November 27th, 2018, 12:02 pm

Welcome to the forum and possibly Carver...they are pretty cool boats....what did your surveyor have to say so far.....??
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Topic author Canada
Pat1781
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Pat1781 » November 27th, 2018, 1:02 pm

At this point I haven't hired a surveyor as the boat really wasn't much money. I spent two hours going over her and I could not find any soft spots on the deck or any real issues with water intrusion.
Cheers

United States of America
waybomb
CYO Moderator
CYO Moderator
Vessel Info: 1995 Boston Whaler Rage15
1987 3697 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar 46 Kevlar Vee offshore
1969 15' Glasspar / 1967 Johnson Electromatic 85
1996 Boston Whaler Rage 15

Postby waybomb » November 27th, 2018, 1:21 pm

Welcome aboard!

Our first boat was a new 2807 bought in September of 1988.

Great boat. We had two 230 mercs. That boat would jump on plane in a few seconds. With the keel it had, I would leave New Buffalo and head straight across the lake to Chicago and had to do hardly any rudder input when the lake was flat.

Engine access is a bit of a pain. After the first or second excursion down there. I simply planned for all the year's work at once (oil changes, filters, impellers, etc). Pulled the captains chair off the hatch. Carried it out to land. Then the hatch went downstairs into the galley area. Then the pax seat and table took a trip to land. Then it's mounting piece and finally its hatch. Then you had all the room in the world. Trust me, take it all apart. Things will go way easier.

The only down side was the aft cabin berths. A little tight at the leg end, vertically.

Great boat though. We had ours for about 11 years. Never had any problem to speak of.

Good luck!
Thanks
Fred
1969 Glaspar Avalon /1969 Johnson Electromatic 85
1987 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar Kevlar 46' with triple blown 572 ci
1995 Boston Whaler Rage
Past - 1988 2807, 1989 4207 Aft

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » November 27th, 2018, 1:26 pm

Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » November 27th, 2018, 3:27 pm

Pat1781 wrote:Source of the post At this point I haven't hired a surveyor as the boat really wasn't much money. I spent two hours going over her and I could not find any soft spots on the deck or any real issues with water intrusion.
Cheers

Hello Pat...you will have to get a survey if you are keeping the boat at any marina that I know of, cause I believe insurance requires a current one for coverage.
Any way, the standard looks for are the stringers, rudder supports, shaft strut supports, the aft bulkhead, the transom, the side deck walkways to the pulpit and the pulpit itself.....always liked that boat, real nice hull, handles great....... :beergood:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Topic author Canada
Pat1781
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Pat1781 » November 27th, 2018, 3:47 pm

Thank you for the warm welcome and all the advice. I will certainly look into getting a survey before the sea trail on that advice. Have always loved Carver boats and can't wait until we can get her out on the water.
Cheers

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » November 27th, 2018, 5:13 pm

To add...if the boat already has a current survey with it, that may count for the insurance etc, check dates first..... :beergood:

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » November 27th, 2018, 6:17 pm

Welcome aboard Pat. What will be her home pot?

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Postby Cooler » November 27th, 2018, 7:33 pm

Welcome aboard Pat. You are in the right place for help/guidance with your pending transaction. Those hours are really low. It is great they are Crusaders, as they use thicker gaskets & seals throughout their engines. That usually translates to lower risk of rot or failure from not running. I also made that jump from sailing to power when my kids were young, HUUUGE improvement to our boating life. Never went back to sailing, and I don't miss it. When your sailing buddies ask you how much you spend on gas, ask them how much they spend on sails, hardware, lines, and ICE. Then there is the time and spousal yelling element. Gas gets cheap and stress gets less. I would echo bud37 advice on structure inspection. Carver built a great hull in the 80's, but they did use some balsa core mostly above the water line. A surveyor with a moisture meter would find any wet spots that may require attention. Unless you are really good at DIY fiberglass repair, that type of repair gets expensive. AND, it is not easy to find a good technician. In this area, good fiberglass guys are backlogged for months/years. Finally, have a competent marine mechanic on board for the sea trial. At the very least, he will be able to discover any blow by, by hearing and throttling engines. Cheap insurance against expensive repairs. Looks like you're going to have some great boating experiences. Cooler
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

Return to “Introduce Yourself!”