Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

New to the group and looking at a Riviera

Are you a new member? Stop in and say hi!

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Re: New to the group and looking at a Riviera

Postby RGrew176 » November 27th, 2018, 10:50 pm

Welcome Aboard. I second all who said to line up a survey. A good surveyor is priceless. They know what to look for and where to look for it. Others have said you will need a survey for insurance purposes.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

United States of America
buster53
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2001, Carver 356

Postby buster53 » November 28th, 2018, 12:29 pm

Agree with others...get a survey.
I recently bought a 35' Carver that was in really nice condition. My surveyor found a number of issues, no deal breakers, but I was able to negotiate repairs and $$ off the selling price. More than paid the price of the survey X 2.

United States of America
buster53
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2001, Carver 356

Postby buster53 » November 28th, 2018, 3:20 pm

RGrew176 wrote:Source of the post Welcome Aboard. I second all who said to line up a survey. A good surveyor is priceless. They know what to look for and where to look for it. Others have said you will need a survey for insurance purposes.

Yes, your insurance company will most likely require it and if you are financing the boat, there's a good chance the loan company will want it as well

BTW, When it comes to surveys, there are insurance surveys and pre-purchase surveys. Don't cheap out with the cheaper insurance survey. Spend the extra bucks and get the full pre-purchase survey and make sure you are there for it and most likely, you will do Sea-trial as part of the survey.

Topic author Canada
Pat1781
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1984 Carver Riviera

Postby Pat1781 » November 29th, 2018, 9:12 am

Thanks again for all the advice and really looking forward to spring and getting her out on the water. Our home port is Queens Cove Marina on Georgian Bay where we have been keeping our sailboat. It's a lovely spot and the staff are amazing. With the sailboat we have been limited due to her size and an overnight on her with all the kids was not something my wife and I wanted to try! We are both really excited about all the opportunities that new boat brings and having lots of family adventures.
Does anyone here have any good spots that they would recommend? We have done Giants Tomb, Honey Harbor area, and a trip up to big chute in my Fathers boat.
Cheers

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Postby Cooler » November 29th, 2018, 11:36 am

Morning Pat, someone may have mentioned this before but, if you do arrange for that survey, you should pick the surveyor. If the vessel is being purchased through a broker, he/she may suggest a surveyor that has a "relationship" and subsequently a potential conflict of interest.

You are going to get a lot of response from Georgian Bay members. There are a lot in this family. I have never been up there, but have talked with many people who have. They always talk about what a beautiful, almost breath taking area it is. You may want to repeat that request for good spots in another topic, 'Lifestyles'. Sometimes members do not read entire string of entries. Good Luck. Only 167 more days till official boating season! Cooler
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » November 29th, 2018, 2:16 pm

Heh Pat, if you are at Queens cove you clearly know about insurance etc.....good luck , maybe see you out there next year, we are also on the Bay....every year I say something about a Carver raft up but never seem to accomplish it........ :beergood:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
darrenlife
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 2002 Carver 410 Sport Sedan

Postby darrenlife » November 30th, 2018, 12:28 pm

Pat1781 wrote:Source of the post Thanks again for all the advice and really looking forward to spring and getting her out on the water. Our home port is Queens Cove Marina on Georgian Bay where we have been keeping our sailboat. It's a lovely spot and the staff are amazing. With the sailboat we have been limited due to her size and an overnight on her with all the kids was not something my wife and I wanted to try! We are both really excited about all the opportunities that new boat brings and having lots of family adventures.
Does anyone here have any good spots that they would recommend? We have done Giants Tomb, Honey Harbor area, and a trip up to big chute in my Fathers boat.
Cheers

HI Pat,

My 'new to me' boat is also at Queen's Cove.

If planning a week or so, I would recommend venturing down the Trent Severn, lots of towns to visit and some great spots that most don't venture to by land like Rosedale lock and Lovesick which is only accessible by boat.

I'm hopeful the spring will be kind to us and boats will be launched in early Spring before I bring the boat back down to Peterborough when the locks open on May long weekend.

Canada
SunsetSteve
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 83 Carver Riviera 28
76 Albin 25 (outgoing)

Postby SunsetSteve » September 10th, 2020, 5:08 pm

Hey folks (and Pat if you are listening). Here we are 2 years later and here I am, looking at buying the Riviera 28 from Pat. My plan will be to take her down to the 1000 Islands where my Albin 25 currently lives, or take the opportunity to switch to the RIdeau system. I will try to have the surveyor join our sea trial this coming week. My insurer waives survey for under 30 ft, $30K. And I don't want to go through the cost and hassle of pulling the boat. These boats have solid glass hulls and I believe there are some blisters but I will deal with that later. I mainly want someone to focus on the systems, and possibly the motors. My marine mechanic is too far away to assist here, all the way to Georgian Bay.

I'll be hanging around this forum going forward. :-P

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » September 10th, 2020, 8:07 pm

Welcome aboard Steve, and keep us posted.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » September 10th, 2020, 9:30 pm

Steve, just an FYI, the hull is solid glass, but the stringers are encapsulated wood. For an 83, the transom may also be encapsulated wood.

Return to “Introduce Yourself!”