Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Carver 325 Opinions

The is the forum to discuss general information regarding all Carver Yachts.

Topic author United States of America
SteveW
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: Looking for our 1st big boat

Carver 325 Opinions

Postby SteveW » November 30th, 2018, 9:39 pm

Hi everyone. What a neat forum; I’ve learned quite a bit already by reading a lot of posts. My wife and I are looking for our 1st “big boat”. We’ve had a number of runabouts and fishing boats over the years and would like to try something that we can do longer trips with. We live very close to the Saint Lawrence river, and spend a lot of time on it during our brief northern NY summers. A couple models that we like the look of are the 325 and 3207. We would be cruising the river and Canadian canals. Most of the time it would probably be the 2 of us with our 2 teenagers tagging along on occasion. I think one of these boats would be a good entry point for us, and allow us to figure out how much we really like it before before spending 100k +. Does anyone here own one of these models? Can you tell me what you like, or don’t like about them? Also how does one get a boat surveyed in the winter? Do you just wait for spring? Thanks in advance.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Carver 325 Opinions

Postby bud37 » November 30th, 2018, 10:36 pm

Welcome to the forum Steve....so a question for you, why limit yourself to a 32' ? One thing I can say is that if you are going to have your kids etc along , you will appreciate a boat with sleeping on both ends....preferably an aft type and the wisdom is buy as big as you can handle/afford, you will not regret that....no surveys in the winter, too cold to properly check for moisture etc.......good luck with your hunt guys...... :beergood:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Postby RGrew176 » November 30th, 2018, 11:35 pm

Welcome Aboard, good luck with your boat search. There's one out there for you.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » December 1st, 2018, 5:21 am

I am located just down river from you on the Canadian side, in fact we actually frequent Alex Bay and more so Clayton as of late. Definitely a heck of a lot of fresh water boats to choose from around there including the Great Lakes Region. You may want to look on the Canadian side as with the $ at such a low value you probably will get a better deal across the river. Welcome to the forum.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » December 1st, 2018, 9:30 am

Welcome aboard Steve. Some guys will start a survey in the winter and follow up with completion in the Spring as temps allow. Really depends on the surveyor. At this time of year, they can still get in a few tolerable days to get started. While they can't rely on moisture readings now or perform an accurate sounding, they could start evaluating other things such as a visual for blisters, running gear, assess wiring, look for red flags in general as there are usually outward signs of underlying issues, like spider cracks, rusted fasteners and hardware, smells, wear and tear, leaks, etc. This may in fact be somewhat of an advantage financially as you could cancel the completion in the spring if he discovers something in the winter that you're not willing to put up with. Most guys will give you a break on the cost if you terminate the survey part way through because of something they found in the first visit. Assuring them that they will be the one you call for your next find will help.

Hopefully members with the models you're inquiring about will chime in with pros and cons but remember that you're looking at used boats so don't expect perfection and you won't be disappointed, and don't sweat the small stuff within reason, this goes for ALL brands. Good luck with your search and keep us posted.

SteveW
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby SteveW » December 1st, 2018, 4:08 pm

Thanks for the reply’s thus far. Bud37 80% of the time it will be just my wife and I, and sometimes probably just me. I think a 32 or 34 would suit our needs fine, and the initial price would be less. Plan to keep it about 5 years then if we’re still loving it upgrade to a loop capable boat. I’d like to make my mistakes with a less expensive boat.

So obviously a full survey is not possible in the winter. We were planning on looking at a couple in heated storage. Is making a offer pending a spring survey an option? Or would you suggest just waiting until spring to even look? I’m going to try and put the links to the boats that have caught my eye..

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1996/c ... n-2944606/

http://www.abstractyachts.com/boats-for ... k-6800816/

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » December 1st, 2018, 4:18 pm

Nothing wrong with a Silverton however any flybridge with a vertical ladder to get up and down is crossed off in my book. I have no issue climbing one but I can tell you many ladies and some guys will not like it. Good luck getting your mom or dad up there if they are elderly. Just something you may not have thought of if you are new to the game. ;-)
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » December 1st, 2018, 4:38 pm

I know which one I would prefer from those two... :-D .......so heated storage for both heh, that may get you the opportunity to get the survey done over the winter.......deals contingent on sea trial as usual....the hunt for these boats is half the fun and could take a while so dont wait for spring... :beergood:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
denpooch
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2005 360 Mariner
Crusader 6.0 Captains Choice

Postby denpooch » December 1st, 2018, 5:32 pm

Hi Steve. I agree with Hans regarding the flying bridge. We steered clear of that style for similar reasons. Also, it seems that many guys with a flybridge miss half the fun of enjoying your guests on board. In looking at the Carver, one must be impressed with the amount of space the Carver engineers are able to create down below..

SteveW
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby SteveW » December 1st, 2018, 6:23 pm

Hans and denpooch, yes the ladder is a negative for sure. Not an issue for my immediate family, but could pose a problem for others. I do like the cockpit, and layout of the Silverton. Nice size bed forward. Bunks for the kids if they go. Could do a little fishing with it. More negatives for the Siverton are lack of generator and windless. I have a Honda generator, and have heard of people using those but am not sure.

Carver has a ton of space for a 32. Sleeping arrangements are not as good as the silverton. Does have generator and windlass. Less hours on engines, although not by a lot. It will be fun to look at both.

Return to “Carver Yachts Forum - Model Discussion”