Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Salon Light Replacement

Topic author United States of America
bobfino
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2005 Carver 396

Salon Light Replacement

Postby bobfino » March 24th, 2014, 4:19 pm

Hello, I need to replace a cover on the lights that are down below in the salon on my newly acquired 2005 model 396. Does anybody know if just the cover is replaceable or do I need to purchase the whole assembly? If so any leads on where to buy them? Thanks

United States of America
Ramsport47
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 310 Santego

Re: Salon Light Replacement

Postby Ramsport47 » March 25th, 2014, 8:32 am

We replace the covers all the time. They are plastic and do crack occasionally. Give Bret a call at Carver or call your local dealer.
Kenny
1998 Carver 310 Santego
T-Merc 350 Mag MPI (300hp)
Port: Cedar Point Marina, Sandusky, Ohio

MissWhit's
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby MissWhit's » March 25th, 2014, 1:55 pm

Also get rid of those 10 watt Halogen bulbs as the heat is what is killing the light assemblies. Look at Marinebeam.com for replacement LED inserts. The bi-pin lamp you use in your fixtures is called a G4 Bi-Pin. Dump them and be forever free of hassles with your lights. I just upgraded my 2001 406 which had 20 of these G4 Halogens with an insert that comes on RED at first then you can switch them to WHITE by toggling the on/off switch. The amount of current I use now to run these lights is very little and no heat. My master bath had 4 lights in it alone, Salon had 6. What a difference. There are cheaper priced LED out there but they are not CONSTANT CURRENT DESIGN as they use series resistors to control the current. Do not get fooled by cheaper products. I do not endorse any manufacture but state the one above as this is who I purchased from. John
MissWhit's
Lake Texoma, Denison TX
Port: EYC Marina
2001 406 twin 380HP 454 MPI

Topic author United States of America
bobfino
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2005 Carver 396

Postby bobfino » March 25th, 2014, 3:55 pm

Thank you, great idea. We just got the boat and are coming out of a Regal 3560 Cruiser. I have quite the wish list of things I would like to do.

Steamboat Willie
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 325 Aft Cabin

Postby Steamboat Willie » March 25th, 2014, 10:20 pm

+1 on calling Brett in the Parts dept. at Marquis/Carver Yachts for replacement salon light covers. 920-822-3214. Have your boat hull ID number handy and Brett should be able to take care of you. Agree on getting rid of those halogen bulbs in favor of LED's, as well.
David & Mary
1997 Carver 325 Aft Cabin
Nightmare

United States of America
Ramsport47
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 310 Santego

Postby Ramsport47 » March 26th, 2014, 6:28 am

I replaced all of mine with LEDs that I bought on ebay @ 10 for $10. In all but 4 of the fixtures they worked fine. In those four, all i had to do is switch the polarity of the wiring and voila! For the huge savings, I can switch a couple of wires around!!!
Kenny
1998 Carver 310 Santego
T-Merc 350 Mag MPI (300hp)
Port: Cedar Point Marina, Sandusky, Ohio

MissWhit's
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby MissWhit's » March 26th, 2014, 11:49 am

I want everyone to underestand there is a difference in LED design and you get what you pay for. There are two major designs on the market and one is a LED with a series resistor to control the current. The other is a Constant Current design that has electronic circuitry controlling the light output over the stated life span of the LED chip. The cheaper units come from China and the more expensive constant current units are USA made. Go to BoatUS and read this article about LEDs. http://www.boatus.com/magazine/2013/dec ... e-leds.asp. Also go to Marinebeam and read this article http://store.marinebeam.com/technicalinfo.html. Also at Marinebeam they have this video showing non constant current design when the voltage is increased to the LED. http://store.marinebeam.com/whyounetokna.html. Your wondering why I am posting a reply to the cheaper LED's, Well it is because I am a Electro/Mechanical Engineer who has been in the Semiconductor Industry for 36 years and I informed myself before I purchased. I have personal friends who purchased the China made units and I wanted to know why the big price swing. My take is purchase what you can afford but for my Carver I want the best.
MissWhit's
Lake Texoma, Denison TX

Canada
feeez
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2001 350 Mariner

Postby feeez » June 17th, 2014, 10:02 pm

MissWhit's wrote:Also get rid of those 10 watt Halogen bulbs as the heat is what is killing the light assemblies. Look at Marinebeam.com for replacement LED inserts. The bi-pin lamp you use in your fixtures is called a G4 Bi-Pin. Dump them and be forever free of hassles with your lights. I just upgraded my 2001 406 which had 20 of these G4 Halogens with an insert that comes on RED at first then you can switch them to WHITE by toggling the on/off switch. The amount of current I use now to run these lights is very little and no heat. My master bath had 4 lights in it alone, Salon had 6. What a difference. There are cheaper priced LED out there but they are not CONSTANT CURRENT DESIGN as they use series resistors to control the current. Do not get fooled by cheaper products. I do not endorse any manufacture but state the one above as this is who I purchased from. John

John,
Just to be clear. You used an LED insert and did not replace the whole fixture.

Thanks
Fraser
Former 2001 350 Mariner owner

MissWhit's
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby MissWhit's » June 18th, 2014, 11:35 am

Yes, it was just an insert and not the whole lamp assembly. I have had these lights in for three months now and they are nice. My lights turn on initally RED but a flick of the on/off switch they go WHITE and I mean bright. The company I purchased from also have ones that come on BLUE and with a flick of the on/off switch go WHITE. I read somewhere that I am not suppose to link companies in this forum but read my previous writeup and you can contact them by phone. I had one light that operated weird and contacted the company and they sent me a new one without me having to send the defective one back. Oh, by the way, I also upgraded my NAVIGATIONAL bulbs also and I went from 85 watts of used power to 10 watts of used power. What a difference when in a cove at night. John
MissWhit's
Lake Texoma, Denison TX

Canada
feeez
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2001 350 Mariner

Postby feeez » June 21st, 2014, 12:00 pm

The wattage drop is impressive. We are just taking delivery of a 2001 350 Mariner this week and all the things you mentioned, cracking decor rings have happened to this boat. The dealer is replacing all of the decor rings but I will be retrofitting the lights with LED over the summer.

Thanks for your tips
Fraser
Georgian Bay, Ontario Canada
2001 350 Mariner twin 350 MAG MPI
Former 2001 350 Mariner owner

Return to “The Project Center”