Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Sun Pads

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: Heat Exchanger Replacement for 8.1 Gas Crusader

Postby Viper » December 19th, 2018, 11:17 am

If you want an OEM replacement, contact Anthony Keats Marine in Wheatley Ontario and talk to Pete...... http://www.anthonykeatsmarine.com/

I'm sure there are sources in the US too.

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Postby mjk1040 » December 19th, 2018, 6:16 pm

May I ask for what reason you feel u have to change the exchanger. If it's clogged have u tried descaling it as it is installed? Curious.
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

Canada
darrenlife
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 2002 Carver 410 Sport Sedan

Postby darrenlife » December 19th, 2018, 6:20 pm

mjk1040 wrote:Source of the post May I ask for what reason you feel u have to change the exchanger. If it's clogged have u tried descaling it as it is installed? Curious.

You may also try taking the HE to a radiator shop to see if what you have is worth fixing?

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » December 19th, 2018, 7:08 pm

I believe he has already done that last year, repaired.....maybe a new defect.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » December 20th, 2018, 1:01 pm

nautiyachti wrote:Source of the post bud37 is right, I've been chasing this dam thing for 2 seasons. I'm losing coolant, took it to a shop and they found a crack on the non pressure side, repaired it, seemed to work fine, but over last season I was still losing coolant, but at a much slower rate. I took it back to the shop and they determined that I have another small crack on the pressure side that only leaks when the HE gets hot and the location of it is not reparable. So I'm into a new HE.

Anyone know of a place where I could possibly get a used one? Prices seem to be around $1500 CDN

Thanks Viper, I'll try Wheatley folks!

My advice...get a new one....used, you could be right back in it again, just good money after bad......if you do go new I think I would pressure test after install to make sure all is well.....
Now if you are really flush you could change both and have the good used one cleaned and checked for a spare.... :-D
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Postby Cooler » December 20th, 2018, 1:47 pm

Nauti - what brand / model do you have for your HE? The guy that owns the marine store I work at may have something. He is a top tier mechanic, and he does part out boats and engines during the winter. I know I have seen some HE's sitting in the warehouse, but do not know if he would have the right model. I will see him Friday, so I can check for you. If he has a match, he would have prepped it for resale to make sure it is in very good condition. He also prices parts too low. I am always on him about pricing but he is just too nice of a guy for his own good. Let me know that model asap. I will check this stream tonight for update. Thanks 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Postby mjk1040 » December 20th, 2018, 4:40 pm

Damn Cooler, if he raises his used parts prices I want a Friends & Family discount if I ever need any used parts! LOL!
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Postby Cooler » December 20th, 2018, 6:07 pm

You got it MJK. But, he will not raise prices. He is one of the last "'good guys" in the business. Each time I tell him the part price is pretty low, he says the same thing. "I would rather see a smile on a boaters face than put a couple more $ in my pocket. That's what makes it worth while to me." He gets a heck of a lot of free drinks at the marinas, another reason I like it when he is on board with me. Once I rolled up to my boat and there was 4 cases of some Alaska brand beer sitting in the cockpit. The guy that dropped it off thought my boat was his. I have an allergy to beer, so I got it to the rightful owner.
8-) er
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

United States of America
denpooch
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2005 360 Mariner
Crusader 6.0 Captains Choice

Postby denpooch » December 21st, 2018, 9:53 am

Nauti I looked into an exchanger for 6.0 Crusader and 'Lighthouse Marine Supply' down here in Riverhead NY, has them new for $750.00 USD. The brand is 'Seacamp' and they have been selling them for years because they have proven very reliable. However, they are unable to ship to Canada because of problems in the past regarding duties, etc. If you know someone stateside that can take delivery and send it up to you, that might be a good option.
A question for the members...
When I purchased my boat, the starboard engine was overheating and we found that the HE on that side had pieces of impeller in there. Apparently the previous owner had impeller issues and they didn't bother to retrieve the pieces. That engine runs about 10 degrees hotter then the port. I retrieved as many pieces as could be found.
As I have changed out the tranny oil and engine oil coolers (due to a failure of tranny oil cooler) this past season, do you folks recommend being proactive and replacing the main engine heat exchangers which are pushing 13 years old? I am concerned about a failure during the season. What do you think?

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » December 21st, 2018, 10:03 am

Heat exchangers are fairly simple devices, IMO because the engine was runnung warmer beacause of the pieces restricting cooling flow, the exchanger tubes will probably have deposits on them because of the elevated temps it ran at.......now I guess you could flush with some cleaner etc but then you run the risk of leaks down the road......13 years old , they dont owe anything, you get a good price too, seems like a win win. That said it might not be a bad idea to flush the engine etc anyway and then put new exchanger after the flush. Just my opinion.

As said before these investments are expensive and worth keeping up, peace of mind alone is worth that.....good luck with it man and have a good Holiday season....... :beergood:

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”