Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Hi all, from Australia.

Are you a new member? Stop in and say hi!

Topic author Australia
AussieCarver
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: looking to purchase a Carver 325 in Australia and would like to read some information. Joined both Carver groups on Facebook and followed this FB link to here :-)

Hi all, from Australia.

Postby AussieCarver » January 2nd, 2019, 12:12 am

Hi all, from Australia

After a bit of boat searching, I think I've nailed my options down to a Carver 325, it suits my budget and style.
I'm unsure if the fuel consumption is too high for my use as I intend on doing a lot of coastal cruising but I'll work this out as I go.
I do like the style and accommodation in the 325 and of course, the price suits me well.

Canada
pepmyster
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2004 Carver 360 Sport Sedan
8.1 Volvo Penta
Fresh water boating

Re: Hi all, from Australia.

Postby pepmyster » January 2nd, 2019, 6:07 am

Welcome to the group!

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » January 2nd, 2019, 6:25 am

Welcome aboard mate.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » January 2nd, 2019, 12:57 pm

Welcome to the forum and perhaps Carver....good luck in your search... :beergood:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
waybomb
CYO Moderator
CYO Moderator
Vessel Info: 1995 Boston Whaler Rage15
1987 3697 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar 46 Kevlar Vee offshore
1969 15' Glasspar / 1967 Johnson Electromatic 85
1996 Boston Whaler Rage 15

Postby waybomb » January 2nd, 2019, 5:15 pm

Welcome aboard!
Thanks
Fred
1969 Glaspar Avalon /1969 Johnson Electromatic 85
1987 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar Kevlar 46' with triple blown 572 ci
1995 Boston Whaler Rage
Past - 1988 2807, 1989 4207 Aft

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Postby Cooler » January 2nd, 2019, 5:49 pm

Welcome aboard Aussie! If you let us know what year and what power package you have on the 325, we may be able to give you some insight into reality of fuel consumption. My Mariner has Crusader engines, burning 22 gph at 3400 RPM. If I back off to 3000 RPM, fuel burn gets significantly better 16 to 17 gph. Takes a little longer to get to the destination, but less fuel burned than time wasted. Most efficient cruise is 3000 RPM, speed of 18 MPH, and fuel burn at 17 GPH. Have a great summer! It is the dead of winter here. -11C outside
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Postby RGrew176 » January 3rd, 2019, 3:05 am

Welcome Aboard. Hope your search for a Carver ends successfully.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

United States of America
Wayne162
Captain
Captain
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405
"Change In Latitude"
Home port - Charleston, South Carolina

Postby Wayne162 » January 9th, 2019, 7:21 pm

Welcome Aboard Aussie
:usa:

Topic author Australia
AussieCarver
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: looking to purchase a Carver 325 in Australia and would like to read some information. Joined both Carver groups on Facebook and followed this FB link to here :-)

Postby AussieCarver » February 23rd, 2019, 8:55 pm

Hi all, thanks for the welcome and advice, always greatly appreciated.

I'm deciding on a Carver 325 aft cabin interstate but I'm still stuck in 'no-where man's land' with balancing my three intended uses which is why the 325 ticks a few boxes but fuel economy is still my hurdle.

As things go, I've sold my yacht and as much as I've spent the last 35 years of my life sailing I'm just too tired, too old (54yr) and .... too everything to be changing sails, tacking what seems to be an endless number of Nm to get to a destination straight ahead and living my life at 15 to 20°.

Hence, I've now sold my lovely yacht (a good refurbishment project, that's another story but was well worth it) I'm moving from liveaboard yacht to liveaboard powerboat with lots and lots of extended cruising of the Australia coastline. Although, I'm writing this from my apartment that I use as a land base but I'd rather be living on the water and renting out my apartment.

I like the 325 because it suits my budget, has great interior space and looks good (although beauty is in the eye of the beholder) and looks comfortable.

My quandary is;
Fuel economy at a slow cruising rate of say, 8 to 10kns to allow more economical consumption numbers are hard to come by (I can comfortably convert gallon to litres ) it just getting the data, hence, I'd rather reliable data from the source, you lovely people on the forum.

Here's what I'm stuck at, I believe (but do not know for sure) that a 'trawler style' 8kn cruiser uses substantially less fuel cruising than my intended carver at the same cruising speed BUT I love the ability to just open her up at WOT and get somewhere in a matter of hours rather than half to a full day.

So I'm stuck.......... 8kn on a 325 aft cabin BUT can WOT when needed or 8kn max cruiser/trawler style with fuel economy as a priority but NO WOT
I need to wok through this myself.... but thought I'd share my quandary as 'thinking aloud'
THUS, can I ask if anyone is able to confirm the fuel consumption of the Carver 325 mentioned below,
I'm essentially looking at two fuel economy rates (Gph or Lph) at say 8-10 Knt and say,19/20Knots (or WOT and I'll work out the math) I don't have RPM because the advert does not list but again, any info is better than none, especially first hand knowledgable info from forum users.

The carver 325 that has caught my interest here in Australia is a
1996 - 325 Aft cabin - powered by twin shaft drive 5.7 lt Crusader V8s - Borg Warner gearboxes and 4 blade props - advertised cruising speed is 19kn (19kn is most likely my absolute max cruising speed if required as this gets me to most destinations in 2-6 hours but I'm more than happy to motor at 8-10knts) it's nice to know WOT is available 'if needed'

I'll continue using 'google' as my friend but this forum is a wonderful place to start looking and asking for information

Thanks to all and kindest regards,
from Australia
Cheers, Pete

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » February 23rd, 2019, 9:12 pm

Heh there Pete....now I don't have a 325 ,but, the most efficient slow speed for fuel is at hull speed.....now for that you will need the waterline length, which my guess would be about 27 feet...that will give you the hull speed for a planing style hull.....just google the formula. I am going to guess again here about 6-7 knots tops, after that you are pushing water until on plane, very inefficient...
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Return to “Introduce Yourself!”