Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Boating/Golf......ASAP...

Chat with fellow Carver owners about cruising destinations and more. Plan rendezvous, raft ups & get together's here.

United States of America
Sadey
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: Former owner of a 2003 Carver 356 with 8.1 Mercs
Agradecida
Current owner 1989 60’ Hatteras MY with 8v92 Detroit’s
Benedetto

Re: 16 Weeks to Boating/Golf..

Postby Sadey » January 9th, 2019, 8:23 am

I’ll give a report on the Chicago boat show. Wife and I are headed downtown tonight to check it out. Looking for NAV/SAT and autopilot set up. Hope to find a great deal!
Thank you for the help!

Dave & Trina

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » January 9th, 2019, 10:12 am

Sadey wrote:Source of the post I’ll give a report on the Chicago boat show. Wife and I are headed downtown tonight to check it out. Looking for NAV/SAT and autopilot set up. Hope to find a great deal!

Trick is to find the model that suits you best at the boat show where you can touch and feel and then keep lookout on eBay and Amazon where you will get the best deal. ;-) Another great option is Defender who always has a big sale around April.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

United States of America
denpooch
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2005 360 Mariner
Crusader 6.0 Captains Choice

Postby denpooch » January 9th, 2019, 7:03 pm

My question to all of you folks who both boat AND golf: HOW DO YOU DO IT???
For the past umpteen years I have promised myself that I would take golf lessons in the Spring. Well, each year I got very busy at work and was never able to fulfill that goal. Now that I am 'semi-retired', I have faced the same question. I find that the boat occupies, at my discretion of course, all of my free time. Would I rather spend a day golfing or on the boat? I have a friend who is an ENT surgeon and he told me that years ago he decided BOAT over GOLF. His thinking is that you can't have both. I kinda agree....
What say you? How do you do it my friends?

Topic author Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » January 9th, 2019, 7:46 pm

You my friend need to have a better schedule.......18 holes in the morning, lunch, go to boat and spend the balance of the day there, then home....rinse and repeat at your desire. Surprisingly easy after priorities are put in order, after all there are 24 hours in a day.... :-D

I guess the trick is being close to your boat, we are just minutes away from both the course one way and the boat the other way. The fishing boat is in the garage so that takes a bit longer to get floating, but not much..... :-D

Give it a try....... :popcorn:

Actually the boating /golf idea comes from a local sign at the golf course that tracks weeks to golf.....oddly enuf golf season and boating season pretty much coincide, so thats the whole story.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
denpooch
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2005 360 Mariner
Crusader 6.0 Captains Choice

Postby denpooch » January 9th, 2019, 10:04 pm

Good dealio Bud! Well stated!

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Postby Cooler » January 10th, 2019, 1:27 pm

Denpooch - another perspective. I can't do both either. I have an hour drive from home to boat, so I spend blocks of days there. But, that is not the actual reason. When I did golf more often, I found that the game going on in my head, and the game going on at the course were vastly misaligned. Therefore, I would get just a tad frustrated playing golf. I know the secret to success is practice, practice, practice, but then that translates to time plus more time. The other angle was, do I want to spend $100 on 18 holes or gas? Do I want to practice golf, or practice maneuvering the boat? Do I want to perfect my putting, or perfect the building of a delicious margarita with several taste variations? Finally, do I want to bend some clubs and burn worms, or do I want to experiment with making the most delicious shrimp Alfredo or fresh salmon with amazing dill sauce. ( BTW - if my shrimp/salmon does not get a "woooo - that is amazing", it gets tossed overboard ). Finally, there are the naps, hard to take a good nap between front and back nine. Easy to get nap while listening to seagull songs. I know my answers, but they are my answers, not necessarily the same for anyone else. I didn't even bring up the bikini analysis. Just 124 days, 18 hours, 32 min to go. 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Postby RGrew176 » January 11th, 2019, 2:44 am

Golf is fun but boating is funner. :captain2:
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

Topic author Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: 15 Weeks to Boating/Golf..

Postby bud37 » January 12th, 2019, 4:35 pm

Well, for us the ice is 8-12" thick in our area now, -8℃ and big wind chill....someone almost killed themselves just this week, if a couple was not home and heard his calls, that would have been it for him.

One week to TIBS. That will be a nice diversion, looking forward to it. Hopefully I can get the toilet crossed off the list soon..... :-D
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Topic author Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: 14 Weeks to Boating/Golf..

Postby bud37 » January 20th, 2019, 8:50 am

:captain: ... Boat show tomorrow....it is -20℃ here now, wind chill to -35℃ ...Brrrrrr ! The sun is out so all is good... :-D

Topic author Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: 13 Weeks to Boating/Golf..

Postby bud37 » January 27th, 2019, 9:33 am

So as of today we have just 13 weeks to go. More snow and wind today, new fitted cover is great so far and new marina guys check boats and stands very frequently, we are very happy with our new place....good people.... :down:
The boat show is over today for another year....interesting that this year there did not seem to be many big boats. Lots of centre console and fishing/ cottage wake ski models, even Ranger tugs had their smaller versions. No venders carried the marine elegance that we could find, only dometic that was close to what we were looking for but he was just the distributor ( read expensive here ), may have to use amazon yet.. :-D

Does anyone else have some concern over this new practice of putting huge swim platforms over the top of existing old ones that were never designed for the much higher loads that could be placed on the boats stern section......they do look good though.

Countdown to the Sportsmans show now... :-D

Return to “Boating & Cruising Lifesyle”