Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Generator rebuild

Discussion of batteries, chargers, wiring, generators, distribution panels, battery switches, etc.

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Re: Generator rebuild

Postby mjk1040 » April 28th, 2019, 6:55 am

I'm thinking a kohler tech. mechanic call is in order and have them diagnose and estimate repairing it in house.
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » April 28th, 2019, 7:25 am

Sounds like you confirmed it is a carb issue.

Kohlers have issues with the carb every so often and once gummed up well good luck. Tried tearing it apart and running it in an ultrasonic cleaner for hours and still no dice, ordered a new carb and she ran like top. I suggest you do the same.

DO NOT use a portable in the bilge, very dangerous and this topic has come up many many times on various forums, never has anyone figured out a safe way of doing this otherwise we all would. A portable on the swim platform is fine and many do so. Regardless of whatever you choose, make sure you have at least 1 even better 2 CO detectors on board.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » April 28th, 2019, 9:02 pm

Look for the model and serial number of the engine itself. Its either a Kawasaki or a Honda. You should be able to find a new carb for about $25 with gasket.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » April 29th, 2019, 10:35 pm

RaRa wrote:Source of the post..... It has now developed a starter issue.....

That's an interesting development. Could very well be the carb as they are known to be problematic if not used often or put to bed properly for long term storage. The starter problem can be as simple as the starter failing or it could be a sign that something else is going on. When you say it has developed a starter issue, what exactly is happening now? Does it turn over at all? If not, I'd caution to not go any further until you confirm that's it's indeed starter related and not hydro-locked cylinders full of water from a leaking exhaust manifold or from cranking her over continuously in an effort to get her running, she may have ingested water. A leaking manifold would also cause runability issues. If she is or was a salt water application, a manifold replacement might be long overdue and should be considered for replacement in any case.

The model number would really help here.

United States of America
Keith S
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2005 38 Super Sport

Postby Keith S » May 7th, 2019, 2:43 pm

For any help to be useful you need to post the model. Hopefully you have a 6.5CZ which is the 2 cyl Honda engine model and you have a chance at parts. The carb for that would be $350+ so if that is your problem it would be best to take it off and clean it. If you have the earlier 6.5R using the 4 cyl Kohler engine you are pretty much out of luck for most parts. Do not using starting fluid unless it is a last resort because you can crack pistons and rings. Extended cranking with the seacock open will back up exhaust water into the engine, hopefully you did not hydrolock the engine. Too bad I didn't see where you were located earlier. I just got back yesterday from visiting my son in Texas and I took my granddaughter for a dolphin cruise right past Galveston Yacht Basin. You could of had a certified Kohler mechanic look at it for free or at least for a free beer!

Return to “Electrical”