Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Replacing waste / holding tanks

Topic author United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Replacing waste / holding tanks

Postby km1125 » June 20th, 2019, 3:20 pm

Looking to replace my old waste/holding tanks. One has a crack and the other is disfigured to the point I think it might crack.

Current tanks I believe are 40 gal each. Might go a little bigger or smaller, depending on how well it would fit the available spaces. This is on a 83 3607. I have one tank located under the aft berth and one under dinette.

I see Todd tanks and Moeller tanks as two big vendors out there. Are there others to be considered?? Are there any to stay away from? Are there any advantages of the Todd over Moeller or vice-versa?

Also, any good suggestions for places to get the best prices?

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Replacing waste / holding tanks

Postby bud37 » June 20th, 2019, 4:25 pm

I really can't remember but it may come along.......I replaced a holding tank in a previous boat and got the tank that was a little thicker and all the fittings were in the top......pump out sucked from the bottom thru a tube that dropped from the top and you could use either hole for how you needed..real nice actually, even came with a vacuum breaker......just cant remember the maker....I will look around.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Postby g36 » June 20th, 2019, 4:41 pm

My 97 405 trionic Corp made the oem tanks and for many carvers. I had to replace my water tank and they still had the oem specs. They also will work with you on customizing the tank and port locations if you wish to change locations of them
http://www.trioniccorp.com/marine-water ... aste-tank/
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » June 20th, 2019, 4:48 pm

Thanks g36, you jogged my memory......I was stuck on triton but knew that wasn't it.......that was it Trionic....nice piece...... :down:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
rjr
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 440 MY

Postby rjr » June 20th, 2019, 8:15 pm

Just curious - why did all these tanks need replacement? km1125 - how did your tank become "disfigured"? Sound like huge projects and major PITA.

km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » June 20th, 2019, 9:18 pm

rjr wrote:Source of the post Just curious - why did all these tanks need replacement? km1125 - how did your tank become "disfigured"? Sound like huge projects and major PITA.

First, they are both old - original to the boat, which was built in 82, so 37 years ago. The aft one developed a crack in the side. The fwd one is "disfigured"... I'm guessing with a bunch of water/waste sloshing around and it being old that it is no longer as strong as it was when new. The longest sides have flexed out a bit.

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Postby RGrew176 » June 21st, 2019, 2:53 am

That's going to be a crappy job changing out those tanks. :-D
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » June 21st, 2019, 7:46 am

RGrew176 wrote:Source of the post That's going to be a crappy job changing out those tanks. :-D

Yea. Not something I'm really looking forward to, but it has to be done. I've filled them with clean water and had them pumped several times to flush out what I can, but I'm sure it's still going to be nasty. I'm going to be doing the hoses too which I think will be worse. I can tape off the inlets/outlets on the tanks and getting them out is pretty straightforward, but the hoses are going to be work getting them through all the passages.

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Postby g36 » June 21st, 2019, 9:20 am

you can disfigure a waste tank by hooking up to a good pump out station and not having a clear tank vent it will collapse/disfigure the tank in no time. on my water tank the previous owner let it freeze and crack the inlet port on the end
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

United States of America
ColRon
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver Santego 3867
“Escape Plan”

Postby ColRon » June 21st, 2019, 9:35 am

If your at that point where you have to replace them, have you considered upgrading to a purasan system? I have one on Escape Plan. No more worrying about smell and having to do pump outs. As it Always seemed to need emptying at the most in -opportune times.. IMO was worth the additional cost. Just have to remember to keep treatment tablets in the cartridge.
Ron
1989 Carver Santego 3867
“Escape Plan”
Murray, KY

:usa:

Return to “The Project Center”