Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

new auto pilot system

Discussion of radars, GPS, autopilots, stereos and TV's. Also iPad and other mobile navigation devices.

Topic author Canada
Burns Money
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2000 Carver 404 with twin 454's

new auto pilot system

Postby Burns Money » July 11th, 2019, 2:58 pm

Hello Everyone, We have just purchased a 2000 Carver 404, and will upgrading the original chart plotter and are considering adding an auto pilot as well. Would really appreciate advice on which auto pilot to go with. We will be doing all of our boating between Lake Simcoe, and Georgian Bay. We can expect 5 foot waves at times, but usually we are in fairly calm water. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

United States of America
Sadey
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: Former owner of a 2003 Carver 356 with 8.1 Mercs
Agradecida
Current owner 1989 60’ Hatteras MY with 8v92 Detroit’s
Benedetto

Re: new auto pilot system

Postby Sadey » July 12th, 2019, 6:00 pm

We recently installed the Raymarine EV1 on my 2003 356. The boat had existing Raymarine equipment hence the reason for my choice. We have been using it on our trip up and down Lake Michigan and around Green Bay and have been very satisfied. Nice to let someone else steer the course.
Thank you for the help!

Dave & Trina

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » July 12th, 2019, 8:42 pm

What system and brand do you currently have and what plotter are you considering installing?

Topic author Canada
Burns Money
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Burns Money » July 16th, 2019, 1:23 pm

Hi Sadey, so you kept the original Ray Marine chart plotter, and simply added in the corresponding auto pilot? Will this autopilot work in tandem with the chart plotter? Or will it simply "hold course"?

Topic author Canada
Burns Money
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Burns Money » July 16th, 2019, 1:27 pm

Hello Viper. We presently have the original RayMarine chart plotter on the boat with a separate unit for depth, water temp, and speed. I am not overly impressed with the screen size, and workings of this plotter, and was thinking of changing it out for a larger 12" Garmin (because I am used to the Garmen from my previous boats. I would love a system that is intuitive, and works in tandem with the chart plotter, and not a simple "hold course" type of auto pilot. Thank you for your advice on this.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » July 16th, 2019, 2:44 pm

Burns Money wrote:Source of the post Hello Viper. We presently have the original RayMarine chart plotter on the boat with a separate unit for depth, water temp, and speed. I am not overly impressed with the screen size, and workings of this plotter, and was thinking of changing it out for a larger 12" Garmin (because I am used to the Garmen from my previous boats. I would love a system that is intuitive, and works in tandem with the chart plotter, and not a simple "hold course" type of auto pilot. Thank you for your advice on this.

Whatever you decide on, make doubly sure that all your electronics will play nicely together after the install without all sorts of complicated modules etc.....unless you are unlike me who is baffled by this stuff.....
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
Sadey
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: Former owner of a 2003 Carver 356 with 8.1 Mercs
Agradecida
Current owner 1989 60’ Hatteras MY with 8v92 Detroit’s
Benedetto

Postby Sadey » July 16th, 2019, 7:31 pm

Funny thing is we ended up replacing all of the electronics. So at the end of the day I didn’t need to go with Raymarine. It can be coupled to the MFD and steer a preplotted course or just heading. My understanding is Garman is more user-friendly than others. I’m sure they all require a learning curve. So far in the short time it has been in use on our boat we have been very happy with it.
Thank you for the help!

Dave & Trina

Return to “Electronics & Navigation”