Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

1994 390CPMY w/Kohler 6.5

Discussion of batteries, chargers, wiring, generators, distribution panels, battery switches, etc.

Topic author United States of America
tonyiiiafl
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1994 Carver 39 Cockpit Motor Yacht

1994 390CPMY w/Kohler 6.5

Postby tonyiiiafl » July 10th, 2019, 8:26 pm

Interesting few days. We were on a mooring for a few days and the last day when I started the genset, the contactors would buzz, but not switch in. So I opened the top section of the panel, nd with a rubber tipped implement, pushed the contacts in and all was well. I suspected the contactors. I got a couple from AMAZON that I was directed to from a previous post here. Today I swapped one out, wire by wire, and when I started the Genset, It would start, but nothing at the contactor for switch over, and the minute I let go of the start switch, the genset died. It would restart, but then died as it mad no contact. I have ordered the original equipment DELTROL contactor that is made in the USA to also try rather than the made in CHina ones I got the previous day.

I checked the fuses on the unit, and the 10A glass one for CHARGE was blown. I shut off breaker on unit and same thing, it would start and not stay running once I let go of the switch. I did have the entire cover off to add coolant and check oil. The GENSET has been very reliable until this past weekend, and it has 225 hours on it. I am wondering what may have happened? I will remove the entire cover again tomorrow and see if I knocked a wire off or something silly. However, I am also puzzled why the unit wont stay running even if I have the breaker on the GENSET shut off.

Always something. I would welcome any comments that may evoke some thought for me!

Be well and stay "charged"!

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: 1994 390CPMY w/Kohler 6.5

Postby Viper » July 10th, 2019, 10:35 pm

Do you get the same result whether you start it from the electrical panel or the switch on the generator?

tonyiiiafl
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby tonyiiiafl » July 11th, 2019, 3:46 am

Same result on both switches. I know that in the spring if I had the breaker at the Genset it started fine without transferring any power to the panel and would stay running.

tonyiiiafl
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby tonyiiiafl » July 11th, 2019, 7:03 am

I think I have a small conundrum of issues here. I pulled the battery switch panel and saw one of the ACC breakers had broken off the load feed. It was a 50AM sistered to a 60. I got a 60A as 50’s are not available, and the lead off was 4/0 so heavy stuff. Once I got this connected, I was able to start at gen panel. Then I flipped the breaker on and it ran, but with only 90V showing at the panel meter. I turned on the water heater, and then I heard the final buzz as the contractor kicked in. I tried it a couple times, and nothing, until I manually held the contractor in. So I am convinced the GENSET is OK, it was the breaker, and now the contractor.

I got a couple of Chinese made ones from AMAZON from a company in NJ, but they arrived opened and look like they were returned. So I went to the source for the brand that was on there and found them in Arizona, so overnight to arrive Friday. I am going to install the new contractors and see how that goes.

Update to follow, and stay tuned!!!!!!!

tonyiiiafl
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby tonyiiiafl » July 13th, 2019, 10:42 am

I got the contractors replaced and they snap in quickly now. However, more issues are here. When I start the genset, it will not stay running. However, If I shut the breaker off at the genset, then start and then flip breaker on, it will run. Looks like there is a single 50A breaker on my unit. Almost like the previous owner replaced the twin 25 A breakers with a single, as there is a space for 2.

Now once the unit runs, it is slow to go to 120V. It shows perhaps 40V, then if I place a load on it, (water heater, it will shoot to 90-100, and then once loaded, it goes up to 120V and runs great, powdering anything I toss at it.

Upon starting, the top left and top right red LED’s light up, the bottom left and right do not. When I shut unit down, the bottom 2 light until unit is off.

Time for a Kohler guy to come down? I need to get the manual and see about that circuit breaker too. Just strange it ran great a week ago, but if it was low voltage, that would indicate why the contractors were slow to pull in?

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » July 13th, 2019, 11:33 am

tonyiiiafl wrote:Source of the post Time for a Kohler guy to come down? I need to get the manual and see about that circuit breaker too. Just strange it ran great a week ago, but if it was low voltage, that would indicate why the contractors were slow to pull in?

In this case a wise idea....from my small understanding of these gens ..... Unloaded...If idle rpm is correct and the gen puts out 60cycles, you should see 120 at the panel....The guy will/should be able to check all these relationships.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » July 13th, 2019, 12:41 pm

Check and make sure you didn't bend or move the governor arm or spring while you were poking around. That keeps the rpms steady, which provides the proper voltage at all times.

tonyiiiafl
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby tonyiiiafl » July 13th, 2019, 2:53 pm

I am thinking the capacitors (or one of them ) is bad. I have voltage, and it comes up as a load is placed. Just need to research where and how. Then I may give that a shot before calling in the high priced Calvary. Thoughts?

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » July 13th, 2019, 7:02 pm

tonyiiiafl wrote:Source of the post I am thinking the capacitors (or one of them ) is bad. I have voltage, and it comes up as a load is placed. Just need to research where and how. Then I may give that a shot before calling in the high priced Calvary. Thoughts?

I would agree with this.

tonyiiiafl
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby tonyiiiafl » July 14th, 2019, 8:35 am

Looks like there is only one, and it is easily(?) available to get at. I am going exploring this AM. I found a couple on line. Generic is $28.00, a genuine Kohler is $46.00. I am going to lean towards the real McCoy.

Return to “Electrical”