Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

anchor locker drain/vent

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
rjr
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 440 MY

anchor locker drain/vent

Postby rjr » July 13th, 2019, 6:16 pm

We have a drain/vent in the anchor locker which is dripping a fair amount of water into the creek. Inspected the locker - the drain/vent is mounted high on the port side and the water is traveling up to get to the drain/vent. The white hose connected to the drain/vent is 1/2 inch(?) which goes down towards the bottom of locker and is hidden by hevac tubes. Can't tell where the hose goes to.

This has me stumped for any number of reasons including the water traveling up!

Comments, causes and cures welcome.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Re: anchor locker drain/vent

Postby km1125 » July 13th, 2019, 6:58 pm

I guess two questions... why do you think it's the anchor locker that is the source? Did you put a hose in there or pour some water in there and that's what's coming out?

I would not think you'd get "a fair amount" of water from an anchor locker or a rode locker, except when you have just completed pulling anchor and it's all wet. Otherwise you shouldn't be getting more water in either compartment.

rjr
First Mate
First Mate

Postby rjr » July 13th, 2019, 9:33 pm

km1125 - I might not have described the problem properly. I don't think it's the anchor locker. I don't know where the water is coming from. Did not introduce any water. Agree with you regarding water in locker.

Since I can not trace the white hose, I don't know where it goes. Like I mentioned earlier, the water has to travel up to reach the drain/vent.

I refer to it as a drain/vent because it's a Perko fitting which I think is typically a vent. But this one has water coming out. By fair amount I mean a steady drip-drip-drip of water.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » July 14th, 2019, 6:53 am

Possible fresh water tank vent ?? Any chance you are connected to shore/dockside water ?
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » July 14th, 2019, 7:15 am

Like one of these?

perko_vent2.jpg

perko_vent1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rjr
First Mate
First Mate

Postby rjr » July 14th, 2019, 9:17 am

bud 37 - yes we are connected to dockside water. Will disconnect to see if drip stops. I didn't think shore water would cause this condition.

km1125 - no. like the fuel tank vents with white plastic cover.

will advise.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » July 14th, 2019, 10:53 am

rjr wrote:Source of the post bud 37 - yes we are connected to dockside water. Will disconnect to see if drip stops. I didn't think shore water would cause this condition.

km1125 - no. like the fuel tank vents with white plastic cover.

will advise.

If that is in fact your freshwater tank vent and the shore water is filling your tank over full....maybe getting by the pump check valve......just spitballin here, ya never know...
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

rjr
First Mate
First Mate

Postby rjr » July 14th, 2019, 11:22 am

bud 37 - it was the city water causing the overflow. Good assessment on your part. Haven't had this problem before. We used city water last year as well without issue. Need to find the check valve.

Thanks.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » July 14th, 2019, 12:05 pm

That makes sense.

You may have a second check valve, but inside the pump are the valves that make the pump work, but also prevent pressure on the output side from leaking back to the input side.

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”