Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Empty Nesters Taking the Plunge

Are you a new member? Stop in and say hi!

Topic author
SomeDayCame
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2002 57' Carver 570 Voyager

Empty Nesters Taking the Plunge

Postby SomeDayCame » August 7th, 2014, 8:53 am

Hello all,
We are new empty nesters taking the downsizing to a new level. Just sold our 3600 sq ft home and bought a 2002 57' Carver to live aboard here in DC. Been on it a week and already have become find where the smell is coming from expert, change out the float to the rear baffle expert etc. Loving it so far. Any advice?

gsellers
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2002 Carver 570 Voyager Sky Lounge; Volvo Penta D-12 675

Re: Empty Nesters Taking the Plunge

Postby gsellers » August 7th, 2014, 3:22 pm

Great to have you here. My wife and I are about 1 step behind you. We also recently purchased a Voyager 570 to live aboard, but we are selling the house and getting an apartment for a few years before moving the boat to the gulf coast. We are currently on fresh water on Lake Texoma and using the boat 4 nights a week. Maybe we we'll get by your way in about 5 years when we plan to start out on the great loop.
Good luck
Gordon
on board KIZMET

Topic author
SomeDayCame
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby SomeDayCame » August 7th, 2014, 4:12 pm

Funny thing is that was our plan originally. I'm not so sure about the winters here in DC on a boat. Then we did the math and figured why not. If it gets too uncomfortable we can always move on land temporarily. The owners in our live aboard community told us that they faired just fine last winter (which was unusually long and cold). We are also preparing to do the great loop in about 4-5+ years. Thanks for the note.

Canada
Lyndon670
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2000 Carver 506
Volvo TAMD74EDC

Postby Lyndon670 » August 13th, 2014, 10:24 am

I envy both of you. My wife and I just bought a 2001 506 with plans to head south in 10 years. My twins are 17 and we want to get them out and through school. Once that is done, I'll "pull the chute" at work and cast off the lines for the last time! Cherish your time....
Lyndon,
2000 Carver 506
FOXY JOE
Volvo 7.4TAMD
Queens Cove Marina
Georgian Bay, Ontario

Topic author
SomeDayCame
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby SomeDayCame » October 4th, 2014, 2:48 pm

OK so now it's getting a little chilly. We just went and bought a mattress heater as recommended by everyone here in the marina. It is still beautiful here though and everyone is pretty nice.

Return to “Introduce Yourself!”