Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

405 Swim ladder

ImageThis forum is for general discussion of all things Boating. If it's boating related and doesn't fit in another forum, post it here!

Topic author United States of America
Serendipity
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 405

405 Swim ladder

Postby Serendipity » August 19th, 2019, 11:02 pm

G36, Viper and others
My 3 rung swim ladder was damaged when I bought the boat so I removed the rungs and siliconed the bottom of the ladder attachments.
It did not appear the attached brackets were leaking but I covered the anyway. Rung slide openings are still visible.

What would ya do on a 405? I liked the ez ups post and I liked the extended 4 rung ladder idea.

Just curious what everyone is doing as an upgrade because I would prefer to not use the original attachments if possible.

Thanks

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Re: 405 Swim ladder

Postby g36 » August 20th, 2019, 8:18 pm

I think the oem carver ladder was a piece of trash from the start. So anything will be an improvement. I can tell you there is a aluminum plate on each side in the fiberglass that the oem screws are threaded into. When i changed my ladder I added some additional aluminum to the new unit and was able to reuse the threaded oem screw holes so I did know I had a secure attachment to the boat.
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » August 21st, 2019, 7:06 pm

I agree with G. If the ladder was damaged, it may have been hit and dislodged/broke the seals on the fasteners so ensure those are still sealed properly. You may want to consider removing the current hardware and sealing the mounting holes properly so you don't have to deal with a soaked core later $$$. Same with the new ladder hardware, don't cut corners on sealing all the openings properly or you'll pay for it later. If I'm not mistaken, you have hollow platform so mounting a ladder in a different location will be a challenge. Your best bet is to use the same holes as G mentioned above so you don't have to worry about getting nuts on the bolts. Best to go that route even if you have to drill new holes in the new brackets. Use permanent Locktite and seal the holes properly.

Topic author United States of America
Serendipity
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 405

Postby Serendipity » December 26th, 2020, 1:10 pm

Guys,
This would be a good reason for me getting behind the hot water heater. Pictures from within the back steps area, the exhaust ports, and the ladder mounting area as shown.

It doesn't appear the ladder mounting bolts have had any leaks over the last 22 years. I mentioned damage to the ladder. It wasn't bent, I just couldn't get it to stay up with velcro wrapped around it. This is how I purchased the boat and how I drove it back on the ICW.
In hind sight I probably should have just put a small chain or cable around it with a lock or quick lock clamp.

The mounting area looks solid and now I surmise I should just get another junky ladder to go there.

I don't want to take the boat out of the water since we have nothing here but a crane. So a ladder that will click back into the original holes would be nice.

So your thoughts gentleman?

Does the mounting area look solid to ya?
Lots of dust but I didn't see any leaks.
What type was the original ladder for a 1998 405?

Thanks in advance

Michael
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “General Boating Discussion”