Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

396/444, what are you running for House Batteries

Discussion of batteries, chargers, wiring, generators, distribution panels, battery switches, etc.

Topic author United States of America
StanG
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2002 Carver 396

396/444, what are you running for House Batteries

Postby StanG » August 28th, 2019, 10:02 pm

Hi,

I'm looking to replace the house batteries in our newly purchased 2002 396. Has anyone installed Golf-Cart batteries in the stock location? If so do you know what series of batteries that fit. I'd measure but the boat is currently 800 miles away and waiting to be transported to Southern Ca.

I would also like to know what series the stock batteries are if anyone has info.

Any help is appreciated

United States of America
DanM
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: Carver 396

Re: 396/444, what are you running for House Batteries

Postby DanM » September 6th, 2019, 9:51 am

I run 4 Group 31 DC's for the engines and house per the Carver spec and a Group 27 or 31 starting battery for the Generator.
Dan

Carver 396
SugarSand Tango

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Postby Cooler » September 6th, 2019, 1:33 pm

Just FYI - I run Interstate SRM 29 for house. Long reserve time and short recovery time. They are actually SRM 31's now. Excellent performance. Starting batt is Interstate 24 XHD. Big punch to start engines, 1000MCA. Our Interstate rep is really good at supporting the batts, so that is also a plus for me. Ask the dealer you purchase from how good the manufacturer rep supports their location. 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

Topic author United States of America
StanG
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2002 Carver 396

Postby StanG » September 6th, 2019, 9:05 pm

I ended up purchased 29's for the house Batteries. Replaced both the 10 year old 27 series house batteries

United States of America
Cliffm
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 2006 Carver 36 MY
"the Condo"
VP 8.1Gi-F

Postby Cliffm » September 9th, 2019, 10:44 am

Napa sells "forklift" batteries that are 1190CCA and wing nut/stud top's. They work extremely well for "starting" batteries, and are large, group 31 size I believe?

We replaced our "house" battery this year with a Grp31 Deep cycle AGM from West Marine, normally >$200USD, but we had a dealer discount to $179.

Return to “Electrical”