Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Cummins diesel batteries

Discussion of batteries, chargers, wiring, generators, distribution panels, battery switches, etc.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Re: Cummins diesel batteries

Postby Midnightsun » September 22nd, 2019, 7:22 am

Thanks for the info Viper. It has been 4 years now since all batteries were changed therefor I normally will swap all out again. You are correct, the bow thruster and port engine battery are tied together as a bank, same goes for stern thruster and starboard engine. Could not figure out why Carver went this route but certainly makes sense if the want 1200 CCA for the D6.

Maybe overkill but 4 years in my book says I will never have problems. ;-)

Winter project, find 4 group 31 1000 cca and 4 L16 trojans cheap. :-D
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » September 22nd, 2019, 9:02 am

FWIW, I too am of the opinion that the biggest bang for the buck as far as battery designs is still the old flooded lead acid. Having said that, more and more engine OEMs are recommending AGM as the design of choice because of their characteristics. The Verado outboard is one such example. If you call Merc support for help with a runnabily related inquiry, one of the first questions they'll ask is whether an AGM battery is being used. Believe it or not, it does make a difference. As marine engines and supporting systems get more advanced, AGM will be the norm unless advances are made in other designs.

Topic author Canada
rgaidies
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1992 Carver CMY 43

Postby rgaidies » September 23rd, 2019, 8:10 am

All 4 need to be replaced.
1370 "marine cranking amps" this should be more than adequate for starting.
48 moth replacement on batteries as well.
My research has told me they are a good value.
Dare to discover by losing sight of the shore!

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » September 23rd, 2019, 9:21 am

Since the title is Cummins battery why not this. Canadian site and CDN $. https://shopcummins.ca/collections/cumm ... 9018656863
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Topic author Canada
rgaidies
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby rgaidies » October 5th, 2019, 7:01 pm

Great batteries at a reasonable cost Marine cranking amps of 1370 is plenty for those diesel engines.
Thanks for the feedback

Topic author Canada
rgaidies
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby rgaidies » October 5th, 2019, 7:04 pm

1370 marine cranking amps is plenty for the diesels.
Great batteries at a good entry price

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » October 6th, 2019, 7:53 am

Just to add regarding battery type selection.

Our chargers will most likely be selectable for AGM or flooded and maybe even more however they are far and few between when it comes to selecting a different type for each output. Normally our boats have 1 charger that do all banks.

That being said, flooded deep cycle batteries for the house bank is the way to go such as the ever popular 6v golf cart batteries or the high capacity L16 style. IMHO, one wants to remain in flooded for the starting batteries just for proper charging or if you really want to go AGM for the starting bank then add another charger which will properly charge the bank.

There is no question flooded is the best bang for the buck. This thread is a good example for a comparison. The Ultra XD Motomaster AGM goes for almost $500 a pop whereas the cummins $120. 4 batteries for the price of 1 :-O 1000cca compared to 1100cca. Yes they promise to last 6 times as long as flooded but honestly there is no way they will last 16+ years, maybe squeeze a couple of years more at best. Lots of marketing going on here.

Point of this post is to remember you need to charge banks properly and most chargers cannot do dissimilar battery types effectively which will affect the longevity so keep this in mind when selecting.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » October 6th, 2019, 10:30 am

+1
I agree that all banks on the typical charger need to be the same battery type (flooded, AGM, etc.) for charging purposes as each type has different charge requirement characteristics. Flooded and AGM characteristics are pretty close to one another and while we're only taking about tenths of a volt, it makes a difference over time. There are more expensive units out there that allow for selecting different output characteristics for each bank but these are way more expensive. It's simply more cost effective to keep all the battery types the same.

Having said all that, unless you have a Smart alternator charging system, none of the above matters while under way as the regular alternator doesn't care if it's charging flooded or AGM or both, it treats them all the same. That raises something to consider if you have a very expensive battery setup and are accustomed to lengthy trips. The concern for the most part though is how your batteries are being maintained at the dock for a week or more. If you don't have a Smart charger or have banks with different battery types that the charger isn't designed to cope with separately, you could simply leave the charger off for the week but that raises other concerns and probably warrants it's own thread.

Return to “Electrical”