Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Winterizing without Sea Strainers

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: Winterizing without Sea Strainers

Postby Viper » October 11th, 2019, 9:42 pm

Below the water line.

Canada
Tireless
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2006 Carver 44 CMY
Volvo Penta D6 370 HP

Postby Tireless » October 12th, 2019, 12:26 pm

Did my Volvo Penta D6 diesel engines for the for the first time this year. Spoke to a number of VERY knowledgeable folks in relation to the task and then decided what I would do to maintain my comfort level.

Engines:

I removed as much water from the sea water side of the system as I could by running the engines dry for a moment and then drained the Intercooler, Oil Cooler/Heat Exchanger, Reverse Gear Oil Cooler and the mufflers through drainage nipples. I must admit, that after running the engines dry, there was not a lot of water left in the sea water system. I went through the drainage process and even removed a couple hoses to see what water was left in the engines before the flush as part of the learning process.

I had built a boot to go over my strainers to draw non-tox through the engines using gravity and the impeller. What I ended up doing was different and worked just as well. I removed the 2" hose from the impeller housing and used a 2" to 1 1/2" rubber reduction collar to accommodate the 1 1/2" hose from my bucket. I went this way to avoid filling the strainer and the feeder hose to the impeller with non tox and pushing the water in the hose through the engine. When I was done I used a shop vac to remove the water from the strainer and there feeder hose.

Being the first time I winterized the engines I put more propylene glycol through that I probably had to, (10 gallons through each side). On the starboard side there was no water before the pink and on the port side there was about a 1/2 litre preceding the pink. Lots of pink coming out, so I should be good.

Genny:

I ran the genny dry for a short period of time to remove any water. I pushed 4 gallons of non tox through the strainer. Just pink came out, lots.

Reverse heat/air:

I have done this for years on all my boats. I learned this trick by watching a mechanic do other boats. I like to do my heat/air system on the hard and I have no way to plug my boat in to do the system as most of you do.

Firstly, I close the sea cox and remove water from the strainer with a shop vac and replace the cap to ensure the system is closed. I then run compressed air through the lines via the thru hull fitting on the port bow of the boat. I push air through until I get air only out the other thru hull fittings under the swim platform. I am always surprised at the brown gunk that comes out.

When this is done, I then pump non tox thru the same fitting using a 1/6 HP submersible pump in a bucket of non tox. I run the pink until I get a steady flow of pink out the rear thru hull fittings. When I am done I open the sea cox and then remove the cap from the strainer to check for pink and remove with a shop vac.

Water:

I drained the holding tanks and then pushed compressed air through the shore water inlet to get water out of the lines. After draining and bypassing the water heater, I was able to pump non tox through the water lines using a fitting on the backside of the circulation pump ensuring pink comes out of all the taps.

So, I really took my time with the engines and genny to ensure a thorough job to mitigate any major surprises in the spring. I am sure most of you have done your winterizing for a first time at some point and understand the stress that is involved. It would clearly be less stressful to hire a professional, however, I like doing this on my own having done it now and have a better understanding of my engines than I did before. Fingers crossed.

Topic author Canada
vineyardgray
Captain
Captain

Postby vineyardgray » October 12th, 2019, 7:14 pm

Viper wrote:Source of the post Below the water line.

If it is installed below the water line then water will come into the boat when I open the lid, no?
M/V Gilded Splinter
1988 Carver
3867 Santego
PCYC

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » October 12th, 2019, 10:18 pm

Yes but you have to shut the sea cock off first so it doesn't.

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”