Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

First time boat owner

Are you a new member? Stop in and say hi!

Topic author United States of America
Gachong
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1977 Carver Santa Cruz 2866 7.3 diesel motor

First time boat owner

Postby Gachong » October 26th, 2019, 1:15 am

Hello all,
Just picked up my Santa Cruz Carver today. 28’ long, 10’ beam, 7.3 Diesel engine, single screw. Boat is mechanically sound and needs some cosmetic work. Other than that, it’s just some touching up. Any recommendations that I should work on first? Also, where is the best site to purchase items or accessories specific for Carver rather than “universal”?

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Re: First time boat owner

Postby Midnightsun » October 26th, 2019, 3:18 am

Nice, fairly rare to have a diesel in a 28' boat. A little more on engine type would be interesting to hear. There really are no specific Carver parts shops, in fact all boat manufacturers that I know of use parts from sub contractors which in general can be found in many places. Welcome to the club and boating. :captain2:
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Postby mjk1040 » October 26th, 2019, 6:24 am

Ahoy! Welcome! Sounds like a lucky find with a diesel!
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » October 26th, 2019, 10:59 am

Congrats and welcome board.

As Hans mentioned, with the exception of a few things, every boat builder uses hardware from several manufacturers. As you're looking to add or replace things, post an inquiry here and I'm sure someone will chime in with some recommendations. Keep in mind that for safety reasons, some things MUST be marine rated, and for longevity's sake, some marine stuff is built differently than their non marine counterparts.

Ah, where to start? I would start with ensuring all safety related systems and items that can compromise safety are in proper working order. Then go over the engine and related/supporting systems in hopes of minimizing breakdowns; inspect and replace all fluids, filters, belts, impellers, check hoses, etc. Test the batteries and check the age of the charger, go over the electrical system, make sure your navigation equipment works, any obvious leaks that need to be addressed, etc. The list is endless. Oh and make sure the fresh water system and head/toilet work!

After the above is addressed, you can focus on cosmetic repairs or improvements.

Did you get a survey and did they find any red flags that should be looked after shortly.

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Postby Cooler » October 26th, 2019, 11:14 am

Welcome Skipper! Excellent advice from Viper, - safety, engine/transmission, and finally cosmetic. If you have the paper work from the previous owner(s), there is a list of all parts, as well as their OEM's. That is really the best source for replacement parts, as the vast majority of those companies are still in business. Carver always used high quality and high performance OEM's. If there is a marine store/shop in your area, stop in and introduce yourself. They can provide support in obtaining the correct parts the first time, instead of wasting time & money on the wrong part. Oddly enough, boat companies, engine and transmission manufacturers will use different ancillary parts on the same model core item. Really rare to find a diesel engine in that model. Any chance it was repowered by a previous owner? 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

United States of America
waybomb
CYO Moderator
CYO Moderator
Vessel Info: 1995 Boston Whaler Rage15
1987 3697 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar 46 Kevlar Vee offshore
1969 15' Glasspar / 1967 Johnson Electromatic 85
1996 Boston Whaler Rage 15

Postby waybomb » October 26th, 2019, 4:47 pm

All I can add is, Welcome Aboard!
Thanks
Fred
1969 Glaspar Avalon /1969 Johnson Electromatic 85
1987 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar Kevlar 46' with triple blown 572 ci
1995 Boston Whaler Rage
Past - 1988 2807, 1989 4207 Aft

Gachong
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Gachong » October 27th, 2019, 6:04 am

Thank you all. I’m excited to put my boat to use. When I purchased it, it was used for commercial use, (Charter) so it Is safe and sound. I appreciate all the heads up about parts and ensuring that ALL parts are marine grade. I too notice that finding a diesel Carver is difficult. Thanks again everyone.

Gachong
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Gachong » October 27th, 2019, 6:09 am

Cooler wrote:Source of the post Welcome Skipper! Excellent advice from Viper, - safety, engine/transmission, and finally cosmetic. If you have the paper work from the previous owner(s), there is a list of all parts, as well as their OEM's. That is really the best source for replacement parts, as the vast majority of those companies are still in business. Carver always used high quality and high performance OEM's. If there is a marine store/shop in your area, stop in and introduce yourself. They can provide support in obtaining the correct parts the first time, instead of wasting time & money on the wrong part. Oddly enough, boat companies, engine and transmission manufacturers will use different ancillary parts on the same model core item. Really rare to find a diesel engine in that model. Any chance it was repowered by a previous owner? 8-) er

I am not sure. I will try and find out. I for one am happy it’s a diesel. I’m a big diesel fan. :-D

United States of America
AaHubb
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: '99 404 CPMY
my twin diesel pusher

Postby AaHubb » October 27th, 2019, 11:06 am

Welcome aboard. What part of our state are you boating in?
..Aaron
'99 404 CPMY
SeaDragon

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Postby Cooler » October 27th, 2019, 12:43 pm

Looked up the original brochure for your Santa Cruz. Appears Carver did not offer a diesel, so someone down the line did a repower. Seeing as it was a commercial charter, you have some comfort in knowing it passed the inspections that commercial boats are required to do. Yippee! Diesel will offer you a lot of advantages. Here is a link:
https://carveryachts.blob.core.windows. ... 7/1977.pdf 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

Return to “Introduce Yourself!”