Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

396 Aft waste tank hose access

Discussion of AC's, plumbing and sanitation related issues.

Topic author United States of America
thatchh
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2004 Carver 396ES gas Crusader 8.1

396 Aft waste tank hose access

Postby thatchh » October 24th, 2019, 1:08 pm

Hello All,
I am preparing to change all the hoses to the aft waste system in my 2004 396. Two of the long hoses in the system (toilet to vacuum pump, and pumpout line) connect to PVC pipes way down in the bilge. About the only way I can see to access those fittings is to remove the port muffler. Anyone have any tricks or suggestions to avoid that big job? If I remove the cabinet next to the bed, would that give me some access?
Thanks for any suggestions.
Thatchh

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Re: 396 Aft waste tank hose access

Postby mjk1040 » October 24th, 2019, 5:28 pm

First I have to ask why? Second isn't there a hatch cover under the aft cabin rug between aft head and berth to access this system? If the answer to why is smell, may I suggest making sure the aft shower sump is clean and that you try more water when flushing. Both common causes of smell, not that hoses don't go bad, but your boat is 6 years newer than our 355 and we have no smell or leak issues yet! Is the PVC you mention ridged or flexible?
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

thatchh
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby thatchh » October 27th, 2019, 10:59 pm

MJK, Thanks for the reply. The pipe is rigid pvc plumbing pipe (sch 40?) I have done the old damp rag test on the hoses, and they are definitely permeated. You have had better success than I if your hoses have no odor. I have had to replace sanitation hoses at around 10 years on other boats I have owned. It might be because boating is year-round in Seattle. I also have a separate shower smell issue that appears to be due to leaking of a seam and water sitting under the pan. The shower and sink drain lines are moldy on the inside in spots, but don't leak at all. The sump itself is ok. I have cleaned it recently, and it doesn't leak. I have been able to see what looks like an access panel in the back of the cabinet to access the hard line junction, but have not yet had time to verify. I have a removable hatch to access the shower sump, but the carpet on the floor over the pipes is pretty well fastened down. If I need to, I will try pulling it up. I will report back when I know for sure for the benefit of other 396 owners.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

United States of America
DanM
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: Carver 396

Postby DanM » October 28th, 2019, 2:03 am

When I did mine about 8 years ago on the same boat i removed the bed’s plywood mattress platform and with a hair dryer for hose expansion, liquid soap as hose lubricant and some contortionist moves I was able to slide the new hose on to the pvc pipe along with clamps, without pulling the night stand. Doing so might made the job easier.

Kudos to Carver for using pvc on the long, under the flooring run. Using sanitation hose which have had to be snaked around would have been far move difficult and expensive.

As with many previous owners who think a boat is built the same as their house, mine used the heads indiscriminately without concern (or much water). If you apply due care, appropriate chemistry, lots of water for flushing and use of the marina’s head for #2 when reasonable, head hoses can last a very very long time without leaching. The 396 has two 36 gal holding tanks which is substantial capacity so extra water for flushing and regular weekend (or every other day when traveling) cleaning doesn’t have you rationing usage between pump outs. Best of luck on the project.
Dan

Carver 396
SugarSand Tango

United States of America
DanM
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby DanM » October 28th, 2019, 2:16 am

Btw I had no issue with the PVC pipe. Homes have been using it for decades without leaching. Are you sure the PVC is part of the problem?
Dan

Carver 396
SugarSand Tango

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Postby mjk1040 » October 29th, 2019, 6:02 am

Thanks for the reply. Good luck with your project, hoping it goes smoothly.
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » October 30th, 2019, 7:25 am

When you say rigid PVC, I assume you mean it's the type that does not bend at all. If that's the case, it should not permeate. Rigid PVC and ABS do not permeate, it's only the flexible hoses that do and that is dependent on the type of toilet/system used, how you use them, and how the plumbing is run. If the rigid PVC smells it may be due to being exposed to an area with that odour for years, but it shouldn't be the source. Also try checking the connections at both ends of it, those are typical areas to look for leaks.

thatchh
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby thatchh » October 31st, 2019, 10:51 pm

Viper, and Dan m,
Thanks for the replies. I did not mean to give the impression that there was any odor from rigid PVC pipe. The odor is all in the flexible hoses as you suggested. Our boat use is often multiple days or multiple weeks most of which are spent at anchor. There are seldom marina restrooms to use. With four people on board, our water gets used up pretty fast, so extra flushing is not a good option. I will actually be installing a water maker this winter for next summer's trip from Seattle to Alaska which will help with the water consumption. Anyway, it turns out that removing the cabinet was quite easy, and there is a lovely access hole behind it. Carver even finished it and painted it so there's no sharp fiberglass to fight with. Now I can access those hose ends quite easily, as well as the vent connection. I should be able to replace all the hoses coming from the tank in short order.
1572576540084589736635.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » November 1st, 2019, 7:14 am

:down:
Wish the rigid stuff was used more often. It should be anywhere waste will sit/remain in the line which is most of the run in electric and manual applications. With a Vacuflush system, the vacuum/suction side of the run from the toilet to the pump should always be empty but the pressure side may have waste in it depending on how the run is laid out. It should preferably be down hill from the pump to the tank so nothing sits in the line.

United States of America
DanM
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby DanM » November 2nd, 2019, 8:24 pm

Thatchh, I have removed the other nightstand to replace the freshwater hose bib but never that one. thanks for sending the picture and the commentary on the accessibility on what’s behind it.
Dan

Carver 396
SugarSand Tango

Return to “AC/Heat, Plumbing & Sanitation”