Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Help on boat find

The is the forum to discuss general information regarding all Carver Yachts.

Topic author United States of America
Tommy3
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1982 25ft Fiberform
1975 20 ft Thompson
1969 17ft Sportcraft
1968 19ft Seastar

Help on boat find

Postby Tommy3 » November 15th, 2019, 6:14 am

Hi all,
Im looking at a 1995 Carver 250 mid cabin express. 5.7 mercruiser with a Bravo111. Hull is good. Current owner bought new boat and is looking to sell for $2500. Needs a good cleaning and TLC. Its a Long Island boat.
What do you all think please?
20191112_122124.jpg
20191112_122124.jpg
20191112_122124.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: Help on boat find

Postby Viper » November 15th, 2019, 6:54 am

Welcome aboard Tommy.
If she looks like she might be in good shape and you're sure she is the one for you, have a survey done. If nothing else, it'll note deficiencies that you can start repairing over time. You'll need one for insurance anyway and it can also serve as a negotiating tool should some expensive repair needs be pointed out.

Drive repairs can be costly so I recommend you remove the drive and inspect the u-joints, gimbal bearing, bellows, etc. You should also pull the drain plug and check the gear lube. The drain plug should have a magnet to collect metal particles. Fine particles are normal but if you see flakes or large pieces, or the oil is black and burnt, it's a sign of something wrong or lack of maintenance. You also don't want to see any water in the oil. So many things to look for at the drive end and transom assembly, so if you don't know what to look for, you may want to get a tech to inspect it for you or you may get stuck with costly repairs. Corrosion loves the Bravo III so take a good look at that or you might be replacing the drive $$$.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Tommy3
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
1975 20 ft Thompson
1969 17ft Sportcraft
1968 19ft Seastar

Postby Tommy3 » November 15th, 2019, 7:04 am

Hey Viper
Thanks so much for input. You think current owner is ok with a survey on a 2k$ boat?
Thanks
Tom

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » November 15th, 2019, 10:13 am

Not sure why the owner wouldn't be OK with having someone survey it.

YOU need to know what you're getting into. At only $2K, I would EXPECT and PLAN on putting a few $K and plenty of elbow grease into it so you know things are in good shape, so it shouldn't be any surprise if the surveyor notes those things. Much will be those same things Viper included in his list... all that outdrive stuff, which is stuff you want to do to any "new to you" boat with an outdrive. You really want a surveyor to look at the hull good though, so you know you're not investing some $$ into a hull that might be a problem down the road (which may not affect you or your enjoyment of the boat, but may prevent you from selling when you want or need to)

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Postby Cooler » November 15th, 2019, 12:14 pm

Absolutely need an inspection/survey. Moisture meter all over the transom. There is no mention of how many hours are on the engine/drive. A Bravo III rebuilt is around $4500, unit only. 5 hours install labor, another grand. I have seen many $2K boats evolve into $15K boats after repair/reno. Not saying this a bad deal, just saying if you're thinking in terms of "it's only $2K for a little fun, not much to lose", then rethink that perspective to "would I pay $12K for this boat?". That will be a more a likely end to that story. Good luck. Let us know what happens. There are a lot of boats out there, you're in the captain's seat as a buyer. 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » November 15th, 2019, 4:17 pm

If it comes with that aluminum trailer, I would think you could part it out and sell the trailer and make a profit if you found any major issues with the boat.
I am sure I will receive some negative comments, but personally wouldn't pay $300 to survey a 2k boat, unless I knew zero about boats.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » November 15th, 2019, 4:38 pm

Welcome to the forum.
My take on boats for 2500.00 dollars is the guy wants it gone. Who knows what the reason is, but lets put it this way, you can clean that up, I can tell from the pics.......but if the engine and drive unit are suspect or the transom is soft you will be into it for another 10 to 15 K.....so consider what a boat just like that, in great shape, sells for ??
Lets say you clean it up and put it on the market, you can just about bet if it is over 10k someone will get a survey. Looks like you have some older boats, so maybe you want to take a chance here. Just my opinion.

Does the trailer go with it ? Good luck man.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
buster53
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2001, Carver 356

Postby buster53 » November 15th, 2019, 10:40 pm

Do not buy this boat without a seatrial. Also agree with a survey. Your insurance company will demand it. Don't just get an insurance survey...spend the extra bucks for a full pre-purchase survey. Yes, you will spend $500 but could easily save you thousands.

If the owner balks at a survey, don't walk...run.

Tommy3
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
1975 20 ft Thompson
1969 17ft Sportcraft
1968 19ft Seastar

Postby Tommy3 » November 16th, 2019, 6:56 am

All,
Thanks so much for the input. Will decide today. I believe book value according to NADA is about $9K.
What is your opinions of Carver?

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » November 16th, 2019, 9:13 am

tomschauer wrote:Source of the post If it comes with that aluminum trailer, I would think you could part it out and sell the trailer and make a profit if you found any major issues with the boat.
I am sure I will receive some negative comments, but personally wouldn't pay $300 to survey a 2k boat, unless I knew zero about boats.

I agree with the trailer itself being worth it but maybe the OP is looking to get out and enjoy boating rather than a quick turnaround/profit. Ending up with a lemon will put an end to that for a while. I also don't know about south of the boarder but up here, parting a boat out isn't a problem with respect to the hardware, the real challenge is the disposing of the hull. That costs a fair penny up here.

Return to “Carver Yachts Forum - Model Discussion”