Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Eliminating Water Heater from Mercury Engine 7.4 MPI

GAS engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author United States of America
Mase
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1999 370 Voyager

Eliminating Water Heater from Mercury Engine 7.4 MPI

Postby Mase » November 15th, 2019, 9:43 am

Wanted to share the photos and how to eliminate the engine coolant from going through the water heater. My water heater on my Voyager 370 started leaking water and I was not comfortable having the engine coolant go ing through the water heater so I looped the connections on the engine with a piece of 5/8" silicone heater hose that is rated at 350 degrees and high pressure, yes the hose is better than you need but worth the extra 10 bucks.

Left the hoses going to the water heater in case we hook one back up and ran the new hose by the hoses and made sure the new hose was not coming into contact with anything that would rub a hole in it.

Pictures attached.

This also allows us to remove the old water heater and replace with something in the future.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: Eliminating Water Heater from Mercury Engine 7.4 MPI

Postby Viper » November 16th, 2019, 9:38 am

:down:

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » November 16th, 2019, 5:02 pm

Mase wrote:Source of the post Left the hoses going to the water heater in case we hook one back up and ran the new hose by the hoses and made sure the new hose was not coming into contact with anything that would rub a hole in it.

Looks good, If it were mine I would put new hoses to the new water heater when comes time. Once those old hoses sit dry in the bilge , rot will set in pretty quick.

Good you got the old one out, now could you reinstall a heater of the same size as the old by just reversing things?
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » November 17th, 2019, 5:30 am

Just a tip when you replace your water heater. I found out the prices are considerably less for heaters with integrated serpentines for use with engines. I replaced my water heater with the integrated serpentine even though I do not have this hookup option on my boat. May come in useful for someone in the future.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Return to “Gas Engines/Transmissions”