Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Carver 3207 aft Bimini Project

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
ataylor233
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Carver 3207 aft Bimini Project

Postby ataylor233 » January 16th, 2020, 9:46 pm

Ok so I Have a Carver 3207 and i need an aft Bimini. Here people want upwards of 2k to make one for my deck.I was thinking of buying a cheaper one online with all Stainless Hardware however I can get all the specs i need except the width, my rails are 122 inches Apart. Soooooo i was thinking order one and cut the Bow's in the middle and add some Stainless to equal out the width.I have a Friend That has heavy duty Sewing equipment and she said she'd Widen it for me for a low price with matching material. This Bimini Will not be used while underway just to provide some shade in the HOT!!! summer Sun.Has anyone done this before?

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Re: Carver 3207 aft Bimini Project

Postby tomschauer » January 16th, 2020, 11:20 pm

I believe if you buy one of the biminis made for runabouts it will be cheaper to start. After all of the work required to adapt it to function properly and look ok on your boat, if you include your and your friends time, you will be over 2k and have a lesser quality product than the custom made heavy duty 2k unit that will be able to be up while underway.
Also, keep in mind, the lower priced unit will need to be taken down, stowed and redeployed between outings. This will cut into your leisure time and most likely be a source of continued foul language and regret.
:beergood:

United States of America
buster53
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2001, Carver 356

Postby buster53 » January 16th, 2020, 11:40 pm

Bite the bullet and have one made for your boat. Believe me, you will come to enjoy it ALL the time, not just when at anchor or at the dock. Mine never comes down.

Canada
Tireless
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2006 Carver 44 CMY
Volvo Penta D6 370 HP

Postby Tireless » January 17th, 2020, 11:27 am

When I bought my 3207 I had a Bimini and side curtains made. It really adds a lot of room and can be used for all inclement weather. The only down side is that it is a lot of canvass. If I had the boat again, I would enclose it again because I believe the pros out weighed the cons, for my needs.

A Bimini on its own is a great idea as it will give you the ability to sit on the back and protect you from the sun and rain. Great idea. I agree with buster53, bite the bullet and get one made. If it's not done right it may not look right. I have also seen people use a triangular shaped fabric that could be attached to your flybridge canvass and then to flexible graphite poles on the aft rail. This would be a temporary sun block you would put up only when you need it.

A Bimini would/could be more permanent. Good luck with your decision. :approve:

Greg

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » January 17th, 2020, 11:51 am

Sent you a PM/email. I know someone in your area that might be able to make what you need for a decent price. Get in touch with them and see what they can do.

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Postby Cooler » January 18th, 2020, 6:06 pm

ataylor - stop by a marine store or dealer and pick up a copy of Great Lakes Scuttlebutt magazine, January 2020. Look on page 60 and 64. Couple of pics of bimini applications if you indeed are just looking for shade. Snaps for the forward edge, 2 poles inserted in your Hawes holes in the stern and presto. Shade. 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

United States of America
Pete
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 2001 Carver 444 diesels

Postby Pete » January 18th, 2020, 11:26 pm

I've done "universal" biminis in the past and always regretted the nuances/imperfections of a less than perfect setup. Not to mention every time I drove the boat or even sat anchored with the wind picking up, it looked crappy.

No worse feeling than sitting there holding this junk sail and people looking at you like you are an idiot.
:popcorn:
2001 444
The best way to improve your memory is to do unforgettable things.

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Postby Cooler » January 19th, 2020, 12:17 pm

Hi Pete - yep, I hear ya & agree. Keep in mind you live in a windy area. Detroit area is not as windy or as wet/foggy as San Fran. By the way, good luck to the 49er's today. Hope they finish 2nd! :popcorn: :beergood: 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

Topic author United States of America
ataylor233
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby ataylor233 » January 19th, 2020, 8:44 pm

km1125 wrote:Source of the post Great Lakes Scuttlebutt magazine

Thank you i got it

United States of America
Pete
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 2001 Carver 444 diesels

Postby Pete » January 19th, 2020, 10:51 pm

Cooler wrote:Source of the post Hi Pete - yep, I hear ya & agree. Keep in mind you live in a windy area. Detroit area is not as windy or as wet/foggy as San Fran. By the way, good luck to the 49er's today. Hope they finish 2nd! :popcorn: :beergood: 8-) er

The wind came and went when I was on the Delta, which connects to the bay. if its windy here, never fun for boating. When it picked up, that's when I was in idiot mode.

BTW, I covered the spread today. :usa:
2001 444
The best way to improve your memory is to do unforgettable things.

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”