Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

RIB/Tender Retrieval/Storage System

The is the forum to discuss general information regarding all Carver Yachts.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: RIB/Tender Retrieval/Storage System

Postby bud37 » February 1st, 2020, 4:19 pm

Heh there.......from what I can see from the pics, it does not look OEM.

Regardless, my opinion is, I would not hang 400 lbs from that ......there is not adequate support for the loads created while your boat is moving etc.To get the dinghy to sit horizontal, high enough to be well clear of the water would require it to be back behind the platform, remember for each foot you hang the dinghy, multiply the weight by the distance in feet.......so 400 pounds on a 2 foot lever is now effectively 800 pounds.

Just some things to consider while you are planning what to fit here. Just my opinion.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
Tireless
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2006 Carver 44 CMY
Volvo Penta D6 370 HP

Postby Tireless » February 1st, 2020, 5:51 pm

I have a Carver 44 CMY and the difficulty for me was getting a system on the swim platform with the limited space I have. I have a storage box on the back of my swim platform which leaves me 18" of platform to play with. When you dinghy is 5'8" wide, divided by 2, you need 34 inches of platform. That puts the keel of the dinghy on the edge of the platform.

I wanted a system that not only lifts the dinghy high out of the water, but extended it off the back of the boat. If you have the storage box option like me, then you will have the same challenge that I did. I went with the Sea Weed system, and that has worked great for me. It was designed to get the digny up and out of the water so I don't have issues when on plane or in following sea's. They are very popular in Canada and there are a lot in the US.

It loads from the side with a power winch. Mine is designed to hold 800+ Lbs., but I have a 12' dinghy with a 30 on it that weighs 530 LBS. It is mounted to the swim platform and has struts that run up from the end of the swim platform. I went overboard with mounting it on the swim platform with large 1/4" marine aluminum backing plates for strength.

With the storage box it would have been a struggle to use the Dingy Caddy or the Hurley, as it needs to be extended off the back so far. I looked at these systems and they are also an excellent choice.

If you want more information, please let me know.

Greg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

United States of America
BarryK
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1990 Santego 3467
Twin 454 Crusaders

Postby BarryK » February 23rd, 2020, 2:35 am

I could also use advice here. New owner of a Santego 3467, 1990. The boat came with a nice Caribe 10’3” with a steering wheel and 20 hp Honda. Total weight about 300 lbs?

I need to install a davit system for this.

Thanks!
Barry

United States of America
HOB
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2005 Carver 46 MY

Postby HOB » February 29th, 2020, 2:06 pm

Tireless wrote:Source of the post I have a Carver 44 CMY and the difficulty for me was getting a system on the swim platform with the limited space I have. I have a storage box on the back of my swim platform which leaves me 18" of platform to play with. When you dinghy is 5'8" wide, divided by 2, you need 34 inches of platform. That puts the keel of the dinghy on the edge of the platform.

I wanted a system that not only lifts the dinghy high out of the water, but extended it off the back of the boat. If you have the storage box option like me, then you will have the same challenge that I did. I went with the Sea Weed system, and that has worked great for me. It was designed to get the digny up and out of the water so I don't have issues when on plane or in following sea's. They are very popular in Canada and there are a lot in the US.

It loads from the side with a power winch. Mine is designed to hold 800+ Lbs., but I have a 12' dinghy with a 30 on it that weighs 530 LBS. It is mounted to the swim platform and has struts that run up from the end of the swim platform. I went overboard with mounting it on the swim platform with large 1/4" marine aluminum backing plates for strength.

With the storage box it would have been a struggle to use the Dingy Caddy or the Hurley, as it needs to be extended off the back so far. I looked at these systems and they are also an excellent choice.

Greg

Hi and thank you for the pictures. Very helpful. I have a similar boat, 46 MY with a beam of 14’11” which essentially the same as your boat. You mentioned that you have a 12 ft tender. I am looking at a tender that is 12’2” and with motor I figure 12’8”. I am wondering how you have found the operation of your boat with a large tender. Any issue docking with the tender almost the same as your beam? Any thoughts or insight is greatly appreciated.

Canada
Tireless
Commander
Commander
Volvo Penta D6 370 HP

Postby Tireless » March 2nd, 2020, 4:27 pm

For starters, my beam is only 13'10", so you have an extra foot there. That dinghy I have in the picture is 12", however it is longer to the 30 HP engine. I have sufficient clearance on both sides, however I am extra careful when I put the port side on the wall in the lock or on the Marine Railroad, thats where the motor is. Don't forget you also have your fenders which give you more on each side. I am considering moving up to a larger fender for this reason. I always have the Admiral looking and checking clearance in addition to a camera back there.

My dinghy is a Highfield and it has an aluminum hull, so it is lighter than a fibreglass hull. The dinghy weighs in at 530 LBS all in.

As for the impact on running the boat?

My design of boat is heavy in the aft end anyway. Never felt like I was getting enough bow down when running on plane with fuel and the dinghy. Like I wanted to get the aft up and out of the water a bit more. To combat this, I removed my Bennett Trim Tabs and I had the chord extended by 2". This would be the max you could extend them before getting into a second actuator, according to the experts. This has made a big difference and the boat performs better. As for doing your channel work at 8 knots, no difference at all.

I only recommend that you get your dinghy sitting on the back of your boat high out of the water, especially when dealing with a following sea.

Hope this helps.

Greg

United States of America
HOB
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2005 Carver 46 MY

Postby HOB » March 3rd, 2020, 7:47 am

Thank you for your reply. The information is very helpful and I will definitely take your advice about getting the dinghy high out of the water. I am going to be using a Whaly 370 dinghy and the SeaWise Davitt system. Should weigh in at a total of 650 lbs all in with engine, fuel, anchor etc. Well under the 800 lbs carver indicates is the max and under the 700 lbs which they indicated was preferred max weight. Again, thank you for the help and advice. I will report back after the season starts. Rob

Canada
Crazy Knot Two
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 92 638 Santego

Postby Crazy Knot Two » March 23rd, 2022, 2:20 pm

3 years ago I installed an extended platform on my 30ft Larson express, and a dinghy caddy system. It's a manual rope retrieval type and can be a real bear sometimes because my anchor points were only 3ft up off platform level. My dinghy is 10ft walker Bay rib with 20hp 4 stroke Suzuki...total 300lbs. The higher up the anchor points on transom the better. My buddy with a Silverton aft has a
winch installed on aft lounge floor and the same dinghy caddy system, it works great.
Our new to us 638 Santego (thxgvn 2021) is gonna be a treat as well. Still deciding if I'm going to bring the system with me or sell it with that boat. I do know you can get extension rails that will give you more room on platform but in this case that only makes the lift harder. But I will say that the dinghy caddy makes for a great towel/wet clothes rack. And if lowered parallel to water makes for a great additional platform/bbq workspace/drink mixing station. It also does work as a swim ladder exiting water. I am weighing this option as well as a system called "the dinghy davit" hydraulic platform, but the ballpark quote scared me to death. If anybody has an alternative I would love to hear about it.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » March 23rd, 2022, 4:12 pm

Crazy Knot Two wrote:Source of the post It's a manual rope retrieval type and can be a real bear sometimes because my anchor points were only 3ft up off platform level

Did you try the block with the extra pulley......it works better than the single.....also try to experiment with the length of the chains, it makes quite a difference as to where the tip over point is when raising. Sometimes if the arms start out higher it pulls easier but has a definite reasonable weight limit.

Found that all out when we got a new dink that was heavier and I had to fit it to the boat....we had the same issue as you. I still liked that system though, keeps the dink well out of the water.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Brazil
Hugo
First Mate
First Mate

Postby Hugo » June 11th, 2022, 12:44 am

Tireless wrote:Source of the post I have a Carver 44 CMY and the difficulty for me was getting a system on the swim platform with the limited space I have. I have a storage box on the back of my swim platform which leaves me 18" of platform to play with. When you dinghy is 5'8" wide, divided by 2, you need 34 inches of platform. That puts the keel of the dinghy on the edge of the platform.

Greg

Tireless,

How's the davit holding up? I have same boat as you, where did the centerline of your Highfield end up - how far off the platform? I take it you can't walk between the tender and the storage box?

Thanks!

Canada
Tireless
Commander
Commander
Volvo Penta D6 370 HP

Postby Tireless » June 12th, 2022, 2:10 pm

I am very happy with the Sea Weed Davit System and I have not had any issues. I have been on plane on Georgian Bay on 4-5 hour crossings with no issue. I do secure the dinghy with a bow and stern lanyard of 1/2” line to the transom cleats. I also beefed up the transom straps onto the system with stainless ratchet straps. I had Sea Weed make a special clip for me on that catcher of the system to attach the ratchet straps.

The keel of my dinghy is 32” from the surface of the water and is 18” up from the surface of the swim platform. The dinghy’s keel is cantilevered 18” off the back of the boat. The weight is supported by four struts and the mounting brackets which are supported by two, large, 1/4” marine grade aluminum backing plates.

The dinghy is a Highfield 360 with a 30 HP and weighs 530 Lbs.

The water does not come in contact with the dinghy. From time to time, while on plane, water will splash down the port side of the boat and hit the lower unit of the engine. The lanyards stabilize the dinghy when this occurs.

Due to the fact that the dinghy sits so high, I can slip between the dinghy and the storage box. I also walk across the top of the box with no issue. I normally ask for a port side tie when out, however, I have a starboard side tie while at my home slip. I never have an issue with going from side to side.

Due to the fact that the dinghy sits so high, it does block our field of view while sitting in the cockpit. When we are anchored out, I normally kick the dinghy into the water and float it behind the boat.

See the attached pics.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Carver Yachts Forum - Model Discussion”