Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Moisture Inside Distributor Cap - HELP!

GAS engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author United States of America
Sailorbanker
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1986 3207 Aft Cabin

Moisture Inside Distributor Cap - HELP!

Postby Sailorbanker » February 18th, 2015, 11:15 am

Hi there. Have a 1986 32 Aft cabin with 305 Crusaders. Have owned boat for three years and we love it! It was very well maintained and upgraded by prior owners.

We have added about 100 hours in the last 3 years. However, due to busy schedules, we used it very little in the past six months. My port engine started developing a ton of moisture inside the distributor cap. Replaced it (including new seal), added Wire dry/WD40, and it ran fine. Yet after a few weeks pulled the cap and was completely corroded. Again cleaned it, added wire dry/wd-40; Ran for a bit and died. Cap was full of moisture.

Ideas???

Never had a problem until recently.
Anyone using vented caps and if so, where can I get them? Thinking of venting the cap to a vacuum in the carburetor.

HELP!!!!!

United States of America
waybomb
CYO Moderator
CYO Moderator
Vessel Info: 1995 Boston Whaler Rage15
1987 3697 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar 46 Kevlar Vee offshore
1969 15' Glasspar / 1967 Johnson Electromatic 85
1996 Boston Whaler Rage 15

Re: Moisture Inside Distributor Cap - HELP!

Postby waybomb » February 18th, 2015, 12:36 pm

This is a points distributor? I would not take a points ignition system and vent them to a carburetor! Seems to me you may get an occasional mini-BOOM. Not good in a boat.

Moisture only collects on surfaces colder than dew point. Having said that, why is this one distributor colder than other things, and, where is all this moisture coming from? Do you have a wet bilge? A cooling system leak? Is the engine oil ok? Are the wires to the points sealed;the seal is almost 30 years old now. Are you using the exact correct cap? Is there a crack or hole in the distributor body? If it is this corroded, does the advance mechanism work or is it frozen by rust?

I don't have an answer but if it were me, I'd be checking the things I've questioned, starting with how sealed is the interior of the distributor.
Thanks
Fred
1969 Glaspar Avalon /1969 Johnson Electromatic 85
1987 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar Kevlar 46' with triple blown 572 ci
1995 Boston Whaler Rage
Past - 1988 2807, 1989 4207 Aft

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Postby g36 » February 18th, 2015, 8:18 pm

is this happening now or summertime? dont know where you are located. i would try and have a dry bilge as suggested and if it gets below freezing a bilge heater would at least keep the engine compartment warmer and more consistant temp.
agree any gas fumes exposed to some kind of arc would not be a good thing.
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

Topic author United States of America
Sailorbanker
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1986 3207 Aft Cabin

Postby Sailorbanker » February 19th, 2015, 12:29 am

they have been changed to electronic ignition. bilges are bone dry: we keep the boat in the San Juan Islands, WA and both the boat and bilge are heated to about 60 degrees during winter.

oil is changed every 25 hours; caps are brand new after the first incident when started accumulating moisture. no coolant leaks. first time it happened was during the summer.

hmmm, looks like a worn seal.

thanks!

Return to “Gas Engines/Transmissions”