Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Glendinning Power Cables

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
bobfino
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2005 Carver 396

Glendinning Power Cables

Postby bobfino » August 12th, 2014, 9:47 am

Hello,
On my 2005 396MY I have the Glendinning power cables that decide to work when they want to. I can go weeks and have not problem and then one day I hit the switch and they do not go in or out. Leave them over night and they work again. The problem I see is that there is no access to them unless I take the aft stateroom night stand apart which I have not done yet. However, before I do that I was told there might be a switch that automatically stops the cable once it retracts (in case you are not manning the switch I guess) and this switch might get stuck and then correct it self some how. Looking for some help on both accessing the cables master and if this switch really exists. Thanks for any input

United States of America
rrueckl
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: Carver 39MY 2005

Re: Glendinning Power Cables

Postby rrueckl » March 7th, 2015, 11:24 am

Hello,
Just checking to see if you found the answer to your question or have since solved it. I have the 2005 39MY without the Cablemaster unit, but am looking to install one. It does appear to be in a very difficult place to get and just wondering if you were able to access it and if so, how difficult it was to get to. Thank you.

United States of America
Ramsport47
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 310 Santego

Postby Ramsport47 » March 8th, 2015, 10:05 am

"Usually" the problem with the Cablemasters is the limit switches. I've not seen a cablemaster on a 396, but can imagine the problem with access. Unfortunately, the limit switches are where the cable comes into the boat.
Kenny
1998 Carver 310 Santego
T-Merc 350 Mag MPI (300hp)
Port: Cedar Point Marina, Sandusky, Ohio

United States of America
rrueckl
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: Carver 39MY 2005

Postby rrueckl » March 8th, 2015, 2:05 pm

Thanks Kenny. Still laid-up and 8 weeks out from finding out how big a project this could be. As you suggest, I am concerned that even if install is successful, serviceability may be an issue given location. Will keep people posted.

Canada
Lyndon670
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2000 Carver 506
Volvo TAMD74EDC

Postby Lyndon670 » March 17th, 2015, 7:29 pm

Hey guys, in my 506 I believe the unit for the cablemaster is behind the moulded stairs from the platform, and that the cable itself is stored under the master bed. There is an acess panel in the stern hanging closet that is easily accessible. I know that the boats are night and day, but the general design/layout should be the same. There is a ton of room in behind those moulded stairs.
Lyndon,
2000 Carver 506
FOXY JOE
Volvo 7.4TAMD
Queens Cove Marina
Georgian Bay, Ontario

Topic author United States of America
bobfino
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2005 Carver 396

Postby bobfino » April 3rd, 2015, 2:35 pm

Hello, I have not solved the problem. At the moment all seems fine, but I have not found access to the cable master. My guess is the night stand will need to be removed to get access. Not looking forward to that project.

SHEMP
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 2000 CARVER 456 MY
Full Bridge and aft deck enclosure
Originally purchased in Staten Island
Second owner also purchased in Staten Island in 2012
Now berthed in Toronto Canada
A wonderful and fully appointed luxury yacht.

Postby SHEMP » April 10th, 2015, 10:28 pm

Hi Bob Fino
I have a 456 and my Cablemaster is accessed through a panel in the aft stateroom port side locker. About 8 screws to remove and the Cablemaster is right there. I think if you need to check limit switches and wiring connections, you will find ample room . Now , in your case the night stand might be a little more work but I have found that Carver has made access to important equipment quite easy. Is your Bed and Night stand on the Port side corner of your aft? It looks like the Aft Steps are the same on many larger Carver models , port side.Take your time and you will find easy access . I normally allow a minimum of two hours for jobs such as this . Victor

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”