Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Anyone here caught up in this Crates disaster?

ImageThis forum is for general discussion of all things Boating. If it's boating related and doesn't fit in another forum, post it here!

Canada
Lyndon670
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2000 Carver 506
Volvo TAMD74EDC

Re: Anyone here caught up in this Crates disaster?

Postby Lyndon670 » February 1st, 2015, 11:14 am

We are leaving Simcoe on the long weekend and heading north to the Bay. It's time for us, been everywhere on Simcoe. Been at Starport Simcoe since 2004 and looking forward to the change. Do you know what slip you are moving to?
Lyndon,
2000 Carver 506
FOXY JOE
Volvo 7.4TAMD
Queens Cove Marina
Georgian Bay, Ontario

Topic author Canada
Makin Waves
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 2006 Carver 46MY

Postby Makin Waves » February 3rd, 2015, 11:43 am

We have been given outside 4, on the channel

After Taxes
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 'After Taxes'
2004 Carver Mariner 360
Lake Simcoe & Georgian Bay,
Ontario, Canada

Postby After Taxes » March 12th, 2015, 7:38 pm

If you wish to read the whole mess of the Crates bankruptcy, here is the link to Farber Financial, which is the court appointed Receiver.

http://www.farberfinancial.com/insolven ... ited-et-al

As for Lagoon City Marina, where I'm docked, it is NOT and NEVER was owned by Crates organization. It is owned by a Toronto investment corporation, which leased the marina to Crates as the operator. Crates holds a lease on the marina, which expires shortly, thus PRIDE MARINE GROUP have now become the operator/tenant. I'm extremely happy that Crates of Keswick never owned Lagoon City. We boat owners at LCM have had a number of unpleasant situations to deal with because of the bankruptcy.

Pride Marine has been in contact with many boat owners at LCM, in preparation for the spring season. I have no experience with the Pride folks, but hope they will run LCM well.

Someone above mentioned Crates Orillia, or Crates Lake Country Boats, which is another business entirely, and not connected with the now bankrupt Crates Marine Sales/Marina in Keswick, Ont. [different owners but of the same family] If doing business with Crates Lake Country Boats in Orillia, you have nothing to worry about.

As for the Keswick operation, there is an offer to purchase currently before the bankruptcy courts for approval.
2004 Carver Mariner 360
MerCruiser MX 6.2
Lake Simcoe, Ontario

Canada
feeez
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2001 350 Mariner

Postby feeez » March 12th, 2015, 10:57 pm

I purchased a 350 Mariner 2001 from Crates Lake Country last Spring. They have been very clear to all of their customers that they are no way connected to this situation.
I am very happy to hear that boaters at Lagoon City are going to be OK through this as it could have been a real @#$% storm if Crates had owned. I have been through the receivership process at a company I worked for before and it is no fun for anyone.

Good boating to all in 2015.....
Former 2001 350 Mariner owner

Canada
Lyndon670
Admiral
Admiral
Volvo TAMD74EDC

Postby Lyndon670 » March 13th, 2015, 5:58 pm

I bought my Silverton 42C from Angus Yachts in 2008, they were the Silverton dealer in Ontario at the time. I gave them my deposit on Saturday at 11:00am, and signed the documents for the boat. I got a call at 8:00am on Monday from my broker - telling me to put a stop payment on the cheque. They had folded, no warning - he just showed up for work and there were locks on the doors with the notice.

No luck, it was a draft and was deposited into the the "in trust" account on Saturday afternoon and then immediately removed from the business.

It hurt.
Lyndon,
2000 Carver 506
FOXY JOE
Volvo 7.4TAMD
Queens Cove Marina
Georgian Bay, Ontario

rythmstrat
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1988 Carver 3257 Montego
1990 Carver 3897 Santego

Postby rythmstrat » April 16th, 2015, 11:22 am

Many here close to the situation, will by now know...that Crates has re-opened in Keswick, with new owmership, under the name of Krates. Strictly a marina operation, no new boat sales, I believe... others may be able to confirm more details.

Canada
Lyndon670
Admiral
Admiral
Volvo TAMD74EDC

Postby Lyndon670 » April 16th, 2015, 2:21 pm

Bizarre that they didn't go for a "totaly" new name...after all the information that has circulated since the bankruptcy, the Crates name isn't what it once was...
Lyndon,
2000 Carver 506
FOXY JOE
Volvo 7.4TAMD
Queens Cove Marina
Georgian Bay, Ontario

Return to “General Boating Discussion”