Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Battery configuration

Discussion of batteries, chargers, wiring, generators, distribution panels, battery switches, etc.

Topic author Canada
feeez
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2001 350 Mariner

Re: Battery configuration

Postby feeez » February 26th, 2015, 11:03 pm

Hey all.....

I a great electrical mechanic at our marina (Beacon Bay). Once we can get near the boats I am going to get a proposal from him for the batter setup on my 350. More batteries and an inverter.... stay tuned

Fraser
Former 2001 350 Mariner owner

Canada
Makin Waves
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 2006 Carver 46MY

Postby Makin Waves » March 1st, 2015, 11:29 am

We never anchored so I have no experience to share, I did install extra batteries just in case. We have an inverter system on our new boat and it is fantastic. Hope your enjoying the boat, we did

Dave

Topic author Canada
feeez
Commander
Commander

Postby feeez » March 2nd, 2015, 10:11 pm

Dave,

When I first saw your former Carver it still had the extra batteries in place, Crates took them out before we took delivery. I assume that your had them hooked up with the two existing? I wished they had just left them and let me make my own decision on which way to go.

can't wait to get back on the water.

Fraser

Canada
Makin Waves
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby Makin Waves » March 3rd, 2015, 12:14 pm

I'm surprised they removed them, I paid a lot of money for those batteries only on board for 1 season. I had them in line with the others, I could not figure out which ones were the house batteries, or start batteries so I installed the most batteries I could fit. I'm always overkill on that stuff. I'm shocked they didn't give you those batteries connected or not. The existing batteries are a few years old, they never let us down, but if I still owned the boat I would replace them

Dave

Topic author Canada
feeez
Commander
Commander

Postby feeez » March 12th, 2015, 10:46 pm

The story I got that they were not happy with the way they were connected..... or some BS like that. Anyway, I am going to investigate if I can separate the house from the engine circuitry and add more batteries. We are planning a 3 week trip to the north channel this summer and I want to be properly equipped for anchoring and not have to run the genny all the time.

It is all good Dave, I am just itching to get back to the boat this year and get out and enjoy her. We lived on it last summer while our house was being built so this summer is just pure enjoyment.

Cheers
Fraser

Canada
Makin Waves
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby Makin Waves » March 18th, 2015, 8:03 am

Those batteries and heavy duty cables I installed are in someone else boat now, that's dissapointing, anyhow I'm glad the Mariner went to someone who is enjoying it, we are looking forward to bringing our boat back to Simcoe in the spring
Dave

Topic author Canada
feeez
Commander
Commander

Postby feeez » March 19th, 2015, 8:54 am

After I read your post that the batteries were new I thought about taking them to task on this but I didn't actually own the boat at that point in time.... and life is too short to waste time on the small stuff!! Overall, I was very happy with the service I got from Crates on this transaction.
So, I am busily researching what is the best configuration to put in this summer.

Where in Simcoe are you moving to? We spent 5 seasons at a Marina near Beaverton with our last boat.

Fraser

Canada
Makin Waves
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby Makin Waves » March 19th, 2015, 1:08 pm

We are heading to Starport, can't wait

Dave

Topic author Canada
feeez
Commander
Commander

Postby feeez » May 3rd, 2015, 7:24 pm

Good evening all. I am hoping for some further feedback on this post.
I met with the marina service manager and the mechanic that will ultimately do this work.

The project is in two major sections.
1 - We are going to add 4 X 6V golf cart batteries to the existing battery compliment. We will leave one of the existing 12V batteries and that will be dedicated to engine starting and the 4 6V will be dedicated to the house.

2 - I got a Xantrex Prowatt SW 2000 from someone who is getting out of boating (still in the box) and that will be wired to the AC side of the panel feeding only specified circuits. I will have to purchase an Auto transfer Relay to allow the inverter to switch on its own when not on shore power or the genny is running.

They have estimated the job at approx. 24 hours labour hence ($2600 to $3200) I am sure it will be closer to the upper and not the lower.

Comments and opinions are most welcome.
Fraser

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » May 5th, 2015, 10:35 am

Heh there, I did some math on your estimate there, that appears to be between 108 and 133 dollars an hour, now this experienced guy is telling you that he needs 3 x 8 hr days to complete this task, not counting phone calls etc or is this a contractor charging for drive time etc with the marina overcharge on top.....I know this sounds negative but you did ask for opinions.....maybe I am missing something.... :-O

So much for the rant about charges.....see what your new inverter capacity is and then add up what appliances you think you will use to draw from this, that should give you an idea of your new needed battery capacity and type.Sometimes when you start adding up you find the needed size for the inverter is larger than you think......Mike
Last edited by bud37 on May 5th, 2015, 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Return to “Electrical”