Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

AC Replacement

Discussion of AC's, plumbing and sanitation related issues.

Topic author Canada
Peter3607
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 500 CMY
1989 Carver 3607 Aft Cabin

AC Replacement

Postby Peter3607 » June 1st, 2020, 5:28 pm

Anyone know where I can find a replacement for a Marine Air VR6K-H (6,000BTU) unit? May have to replace the unit if it cannot be repaired. The unit runs fine but it doesn't pump out the cold air. Hoping to get an AC guy to have a look but keeping my options open at this time.

Unit is tucked in the port aft corner of the master cabin and very difficult to access. Seems like Carver built the boat around the AC unit!! I guess they never had service in mind during their planning off placement.

Thoughts??
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Canada
Tireless
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2006 Carver 44 CMY
Volvo Penta D6 370 HP

Re: AC Replacement

Postby Tireless » June 1st, 2020, 9:53 pm

Remove the unit and take it to Bob at Northland Supply in Keswick. He will bench test it, fix or rebuild if required. Call him and tell him what’s going on and he may have an answer for you. 905-478-2244. He can also send a tech to your boat. Highly recommend him.

Greg

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » June 1st, 2020, 10:27 pm

Bob is definitely the go to guy, hard to beat his knowledge, however IMO, his appliances and parts are overpriced. If the unit is defective and original to the boat, I wouldn't put any money into it because you'll likely spend a fair bit of money and still have a 30 year old unit that's likely to have something else fail at any time. Newer units are more efficient, use less power, are much quieter, are likely to take up less space, and will come with a digital control panel.

I'm assuming you've confirmed that the raw water pump is pumping and discharging overboard? How many AC units on board? Does either mode work; heat or cooling?

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » June 2nd, 2020, 1:57 am

I may be able to help out here as I have the original 6,000 btu unit from my 2007 master bedroom laying around which is fully functional. $100 for my troubles and shipping at cost and it's yours. Don't think I still have the thermostat though. Shipping from QC to ON cannot be all that much then again shipping time with covid may take several years. :lol: Will take a picture when I get to the office tomorrow as today I finally get to go see the boat. :-D :-D
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Topic author Canada
Peter3607
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Peter3607 » June 2nd, 2020, 9:21 am

Viper wrote:Source of the post Bob is definitely the go to guy, hard to beat his knowledge, however IMO, his appliances and parts are overpriced. If the unit is defective and original to the boat, I wouldn't put any money into it because you'll likely spend a fair bit of money and still have a 30 year old unit that's likely to have something else fail at any time. Newer units are more efficient, use less power, are much quieter, are likely to take up less space, and will come with a digital control panel.

I'm assuming you've confirmed that the raw water pump is pumping and discharging overboard? How many AC units on board? Does either mode work; heat or cooling?

Yes raw water pump functions and discharges overboard. Heating appears to work although I've only tested it in the summer lol. I have a total of 3 units on board. 2 are working great. figures the one in the master cabin doesn't

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » June 2nd, 2020, 11:30 am

Peter, I'm wondering if you can provide a few more pictures of the install back there. I am almost done retrofitting my 3607 with HVAC as it never was equipped with it and am curious what other installations look like, especially the ducting.

Topic author Canada
Peter3607
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Peter3607 » June 2nd, 2020, 7:16 pm

km1125 wrote:Source of the post Peter, I'm wondering if you can provide a few more pictures of the install back there. I am almost done retrofitting my 3607 with HVAC as it never was equipped with it and am curious what other installations look like, especially the ducting.

I do have some pictures however I cannot attach them to this message for some strange reason. The forum doesn't recognize the pictures to attach. If you can provide your email I can forward them to you separately.

Return to “AC/Heat, Plumbing & Sanitation”