Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Battery configuration

Discussion of batteries, chargers, wiring, generators, distribution panels, battery switches, etc.

Ondercin
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1988 carver 3607 AFT
Penetanguishene

Re: Battery configuration

Postby Ondercin » May 5th, 2015, 8:41 pm

We have just purchased a 3607 and I need to replace the two 4d batteries.
So far I'm planning on 3 group 31, a separate battery for each engine, and 1 for the genny. I will upgrade the charger to a promariner 50amp 3 bank, and also install a promariner isolator 2/3 (2 alternators / 3 batteries)
We'll be moving from Krates to hindsons after the long weekend.
1988 carver 3607 AFT
Penetanguishene

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Postby g36 » May 6th, 2015, 10:53 am

2600-3200 for inverter install omg i couldnt afford to be boating if i had not learned to do things myself. not to be disrespectful. i just cant believe how much
you aleady have the inverter and the golf cart batteires might be $600. those 2 things are the biggest expense. i use the same type set up in now my 3rd boat and it works well but its a shame if thats the kind of money they want to install this. i t is not hard to install a inverter your wont be able to run everything on the boat at one time on the 2000 unit. surely you can beat this price
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

Topic author Canada
feeez
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2001 350 Mariner

Postby feeez » May 7th, 2015, 5:15 am

Mike,

I definitely share your skepticism with their estimate. I will be talking to another company about the work the next time I am up at the boat. I may even tackle the battery enhancement part of the job myself.
Since my post I have found out that the inverter I was going to use was not appropriate for the application as it was not set up for hard wiring into the AC panel. Lots of research to be done, but that is part of the fun of it!!!

Thanks for your input.
Fraser

bud37 wrote:Heh there, I did some math on your estimate there, that appears to be between 108 and 133 dollars an hour, now this experienced guy is telling you that he needs 3 x 8 hr days to complete this task, not counting phone calls etc or is this a contractor charging for drive time etc with the marina overcharge on top.....I know this sounds negative but you did ask for opinions.....maybe I am missing something.... :-O

So much for the rant about charges.....see what your new inverter capacity is and then add up what appliances you think you will use to draw from this, that should give you an idea of your new needed battery capacity and type.Sometimes when you start adding up you find the needed size for the inverter is larger than you think......Mike
Former 2001 350 Mariner owner

Topic author Canada
feeez
Commander
Commander

Postby feeez » May 18th, 2015, 8:49 am

After Taxes

I would really like to get more info on your set up as our boats are similar.

I am going to add 4 of the 6volt trojans and a new 12volt for engine starting

I am wonder how many 6 volts you installed given the limited real estate between the engines.
Thanks

Fraser

After Taxes wrote:I am watching this thread with much interest, as a new Mariner owner.

I recently had a 320 Cruisers, in which I installed four TROJAN six-volt golf cart batteries, for the house, and successfully anchored or docked on islands without shore power for two weeks, with proper input from the onboard Kohler genny, and I took along a Honda 2000, since I already owned it, and it's so inexpensive to run for hours.

Needless to say, I kept the fabulous six-volts, but have not yet had a chance to review what's in the Carver - I only know there are two twelve-volt house batteries in parallel.

Interestingly, my first impression is that there seems to be less room in the Carver engine room for additional batteries, but I'll probably find a way by moving or adjusting the battery trays, if possible.

If you have room, and want to switch to six-volts, you will be most satisfied with the increase in amp hours. Four six-volts will beat two twelve-volts every day of the week. A little more expensive to set up, and you'll need some extra cables, but well worth the effort.

Here's a close up of two of my six-volts. I use the T-105.

And a link to Trojan for all the specs.

http://www.trojanbattery.com/product/t-105/

p.s. we boat The Bay annually, lurking around Beausoleil, not far from you, so perhaps we'll cross paths and can compare notes. Feel free to keep in touch over the next year, as I'll gladly share any knowledge I obtain with respect to good Mariner battery management.

Topic author Canada
feeez
Commander
Commander

Postby feeez » May 18th, 2015, 8:59 am

Thanks for the input.

Welcome to Penetanquishine.... We are your neighbour at Beacon Bay

Fraser

Ondercin wrote:We have just purchased a 3607 and I need to replace the two 4d batteries.
So far I'm planning on 3 group 31, a separate battery for each engine, and 1 for the genny. I will upgrade the charger to a promariner 50amp 3 bank, and also install a promariner isolator 2/3 (2 alternators / 3 batteries)
We'll be moving from Krates to hindsons after the long weekend.

After Taxes
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 'After Taxes'
2004 Carver Mariner 360
Lake Simcoe & Georgian Bay,
Ontario, Canada

Postby After Taxes » May 21st, 2015, 9:15 pm

Hi Fraser,

I haven't tackled the battery job yet. My beautiful Trojan six-volt batteries are in my basement on trickle charge!

My research with Carver, shows that the Mariner was factory produced with only ONE house battery, which was located beside the two engine start batteries, in the area in front of the generator. (the genny batter was factory installed directly in front of the genny)

In my boat, the previous owner had the genny battery moved to the starboard side of the genny, and a second house battery installed directly in front of the genny, where the genny battery used to be. So, it's a little tight in that space, but there are four batteries, two house and two engine starts.

With some other pressing jobs, I haven't taken the time to measure and determine how or where the six-volts would best fit.
2004 Carver Mariner 360
MerCruiser MX 6.2
Lake Simcoe, Ontario

Topic author Canada
feeez
Commander
Commander

Postby feeez » May 21st, 2015, 10:44 pm

I have ordered the 4 Trojan T105s. I got a good deal from Total Battery in Barrie $185 EA including the core charge.
My plan is to put the 4 6 volts in the space where the existing 12's are now and they will assume the roll of Battery #2 on the switch. I am going to build a platform to hold 1 12volt over the six volts that will be easily removed. That will be battery #1 and will be dedicated to engine starting. I do, however like the idea of relocating the Genny batter and utilizing that space. I will look at that when I am up at the boat next week

Cheers
Fraser

After Taxes wrote:Hi Fraser,

I haven't tackled the battery job yet. My beautiful Trojan six-volt batteries are in my basement on trickle charge!

My research with Carver, shows that the Mariner was factory produced with only ONE house battery, which was located beside the two engine start batteries, in the area in front of the generator. (the genny batter was factory installed directly in front of the genny)

In my boat, the previous owner had the genny battery moved to the starboard side of the genny, and a second house battery installed directly in front of the genny, where the genny battery used to be. So, it's a little tight in that space, but there are four batteries, two house and two engine starts.

With some other pressing jobs, I haven't taken the time to measure and determine how or where the six-volts would best fit.

After Taxes
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 'After Taxes'
2004 Carver Mariner 360
Lake Simcoe & Georgian Bay,
Ontario, Canada

Postby After Taxes » May 23rd, 2015, 10:11 pm

Hi,
That's a very good price on the T105. I paid at least that much, close to 600.00 for four batteries, about 3-4 years. ago.

I am very much interested in how you build the battery shelf to hold everthing, so if you can post photos of the project in various stages, that would be very helpful.

cheers,

Steve
2004 Carver Mariner 360
MerCruiser MX 6.2
Lake Simcoe, Ontario

Topic author Canada
feeez
Commander
Commander

Postby feeez » June 2nd, 2015, 6:31 pm

I will post some pics when I am done. I will be starting the job tomorrow.
I am going to move the Genny battery to the port side of the Generator. I will then move the what is battery #1 to the spot where the generator battery was located. Battery #2 will be removed from the boat and that will leave enough real estate for the T105's which will be hooked up as Battery #2 in a series parallel array.

Fraser

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Postby mjk1040 » April 7th, 2016, 7:22 am

I put 04-group 31 Marine batteries in our 1988 Mariner with the highest reserve amp hours I could find. We had no genny to recharge and weren't out a lot for more than 6 hours or so, ran every thing including the fridge on one bank of two 12 volt batteries and never had an issue. Anything today that has any type of computer control will shut down when the low voltage is detected to protect it's self. If you add batteries make sure you have them in parallel and NOT series. Good luck with a fix that works for you. Mike
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

Return to “Electrical”